wifi lcd image, not working

Started by mark, February 10, 2013, 06:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark

I just got the 13 - wifi board(Newbe) and the 7"lcd ts.  I first powered up the board connected to a vga monitor and usb keyboard/mouse and it worked great.  I then loaded sun5i_android_a13-evb_800x480_LCD_EN_SD.img to the board, connected the lcd and powered it up.  (I am using a 9v, 1.7A Power Suply).  The screen flashes white, goes black for a while, then comes on dim white with a capital H made with dots near the lowere lefet corner.  But it is dead to the world.  Touching the screen does nothing, connecting keyboard/mouse does nothing.  After a while it goes black.  Pressing reset seems to reboot the same way.

I am using a ide hard drive cable to connect it.  Tried 2 different ones, same effect.  If can upload the vga image and it works, but the lcd does not. 

Any ideas how to debug this problem?  Someone mentioned hooking up to the serial port. 

Where is the serial port?  A usb to serial adaptor?

JohnS

Serial port is in the manual.  Also the schematic.  And marked on the PCB.  Hard to know what more they could do!

Plenty of posts on here about it, too.  Try the Search.

mark

Thanks, I needed that.  I guess stupid questions are not allowed on this forum.  No more questions from me.  Bye.

mike1968

Hello mark,

Dont`t worry.... if you read "all the helpfull answers" from mr.johnS today..i think he has a bad day...

Michael

mark

I got the debug terminal setup with putty.  I booted with a vga display first and saved the output, then with lcd image and saved that.  Comparing the two, the look the same.  Boot seems complete with the lcd, just like on the vga, but I get no output on the lcd. 

Right up front I should see the little android graphic (I do with vga), but nothing with the lcd.  So how do I determine if the hardware has a problem of if the image I am loading is bad?

mike1968

Mark,

Did you read this thraed "A13-Lcd7" ?

Hope it help you....it solved my problems with lcd.

Michael

mark

I dont find a thread by that title but lots of threads that include that string.  It looks to me like the only thing required is a different image to run the lcd.

If I load sun5i_android_a13-evb_800x480_LCD_EN_SD.img image to the board, and connect the vga without the lcd connected, it will boot to the vga at 800x480.  If I load sun5i_android_a13-evb800x600_VGA_EN_SD.img it boots with 800x600.  So I know the images are different.  But the lcd will not work with either image.

mark

Thanks for the link.  I have read through it an I am missing something. 

My backlight comes on, but the screen is blank(white) except for an H  (about 1/2 inch square) in the lower left 1/4 of the screen.

Second, in the thread you pointed out, the author says the problem is fixed, instructions are there.  Where?

About these scripts.  How do I get them to the system to run them, via putty on the com port somehow?  The putty session does look like a linux shell, but how do I push the script to it?

Sorry, I think my biggest problem is figuring out how to find things in forums.

mark

Finally got it to work. The ribbon connecter from the LCD to controller was apparently not seated well.  I touched it and it started to work (poorly).  So I undid the connector and redid it an now it works great, even the touch.  But the brightness is backwards. I saw something about that yesterday ion the forums.