Project : Door entrance survey (home security) & USB sync when come back at home

Started by miguipda, January 04, 2013, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miguipda

Hi,

I have this project idea and has just discovered that olimex exist.
I am not sure if olimex board couuld be the better way for this project idea.

Let me epxlain the project idea and please explain if it could be do with which olimex board and modules (without wireless).
Desired functionalities :
1) door bell
     a) when door bell run a mp3 file (ring following by a dog barking)
     b) when door bell take even snapshot or video following the settings
     c) when door bell allowing sound in and out to avoid opening the door but displaying the video of the people that is in front of the door (then using a 7" TS with android
2) video motion detection when somebody is in front of the door or when somebody turn around my car I parked in front of my door
     a) when motion detection run a mp3 file (dog barking) and be able to switch on a room light (light with bluetooth or wifi module integrated)
     b) when motion detection register the sound (in)
3) vibration registering when somebody knock on the door or try to open it (vandalism)
4) door lock to be able to open or close the door with PC and or android (= web interface)
5) when the family come back at home they could insert their USB keys to the hub USB that will automatically synchronise them with their personal folders located on the external drive (HDD connected to the router).
6) registering and mailing events : door bell, video detection, vibration registered, door lock

By considering that all must be registered (video / pictures, sounds, vibration and visiting discussion) on the external drive (HDD) connected to the router please share me your knowledge to see which board is perfect for all those functionalities. For this registering need it means that the olimex board must be connected by ethernet (RJ45) to the router.

For video survey I though to use this small camera that already have motion detection with a USB connection : http://cgi.ebay.fr/CAMERA-SPORT-WATERPROOF-MARINE-ETANCHE120-VTT-VELO-MOTO-EMBARQUEE-SURF-/130712164018

Sincerely thanks for your help and ideas / remarks.

Have a nice day,

Miguipda ;-)

Cure

HOLY CRAP!  This is going to take you a very long time to design this system.  Forget about Android, you will have to write your own custom program in Linux.  I hope you have a programming background because you will need it.  You will also need electronic Inputs and Outputs (GPIO), so you will need a basic understanding of electronics, how to solder, you need supplies: resistors, breadboards, sensors, etc.  Find a good electronics store close to your house because you will be in there atleast 10 times before this project is done.  No point ordering stuff from the Internet because you will always forget 1 thing and it will drive you crazy.  Here is a Microcontroller website that I have used in the past, it gives an overview of what an Inputs/Outputs are and how to wire them up (it will be different on the A13, but it's a good place to start) Read pages 9-30:

http://www.picaxe.com/Getting-Started/PICAXE-Manuals/
Section 3 - Microcontroller interfacing circuits

Inputs like switches need to be wired with a resistor, or a voltage will spike destroy your board.  Switches have an electronic "bounce".  When you press a mechanical button switch it goes off 10-100 times in a split second so your program needs to ignore the extra bounces.  Analog sensors are all the same, change is measured by a voltage which changes based on resistance from the sensor.  All Analog sensors are the same so look at the light sensor on page 29.  You will also need a 90 degree solenoid (page 24 covers solenoids), or a servo motor from a radio control car (page 19) to turn your deadbolt lock.

Here is a good website to look at, it discusses video capture on Linux:
http://www.moreno.marzolla.name/software/linux-webcam-server/

You will also need to build a custom Debian kernel for your A13 because the standard kernel does not support UVC webcams.  I have posted instructions here:
https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=518.0

If you want to setup web services you will have to install something like Apache web server and write custom .php scripts (program).  This will allow you to login from any smartphone with internet access and look at webcam photos, activate input/outputs: door locks, relays, etc.  But again you will need to write a watch program to intercept commands from the website .php code and pass that to the Linux code, then pass that to the A13's GPIO to trigger the Input/Outputs.

Next you will have to setup port forwarding on your home router to access the webserver from outside, if your IP address changes you will also need something like http://dyn.com/dns/dyn-standard-dns/.  In other words you definatley need IT knowledge as well.  And if you're planning to sell this as a product, you will need to setup your own website service to provide this to your customers.  Again it's not hard, but you need a ton of IT experience.

To be completely honest, as a programmer and someone who understands electronics.  I would be scared to take on a project like this and would probably quote you $5,000-10,000 USD if I wasn't doing anything else for the next 2 months.  It is extremely, extremely complicated and if you don't have lots of free time and you're not a techie then I'll tell you now, do not bother.  It will take you months to learn everything and you're better off paying someone else to do it.

drspastic

have you tried zoneminder (debian repo) or watchdog. also there are lots of free apps on android market that monitor changes in output of video camera where you can mark zones of picture to watch. then on movement it plays alarm sound of your choice (bell, siren, dog) phones/texts a number list and emails a photo sequence of the event until video is still again. i used to be a pro security installer and take it from me, its better to have a few of these independent devices about the house than one central system that can be deactivated/destroyed. also good luck is olimex make gsm modules to fit to the olinuxino. that means no wires that can be cut from outside. keep all with battery backup, arrange that each camera is within the view zone of the next. you WILL get a photo of your bandit that way.