Is it possible to reag EMG using EEG-SMT?

Started by thequirk, February 09, 2013, 08:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequirk

I just bought EEG-SMT last 6 month for my EEG project, and I'm wondering if the board are able to detect EMG signal for my another project.
Is there any possibility? Or if not possible, why?

Because, EEG signal has low amplitude and frequency, I wonder if it can detect EMG signal too.
Please help, if there's a change to made for the board to detect EMG signal. Thanks :)

LubOlimex

Hey thequirk,

QuoteI just bought EEG-SMT last 6 month for my EEG project, and I'm wondering if the board are able to detect EMG signal for my another project.
Is there any possibility? Or if not possible, why?

Yes, it is possible. No problem. No need for hardware modification. The only modification might be needed in the software tools you are using - lowering the amplitude range. The basic setup would be to use just one channel (2 electrodes) and DRL. The best practice would be to place each electrode in front of the elbow area and the DRL to your right leg.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

thequirk

Great, thanks for the answer.
And, is there any clue of, what are the frequency range that EEG-SMT can get? I mean, it is supposed to detect EEG, and EMG frequency range is slightly above EEG's. Because I saw High Pass Filters on the schematic.