Advice on Development board for Embedded Linux beginner

Started by bosch, May 06, 2021, 12:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosch

First of all I am sorry if this is not the correct category in the forum but I didn't find a  category thats related to my question.

I am an embedded developer that mostly works with MCUs. As I want to expand my skill set I want to start working with embedded linux and thought an OLinuXino board would be a great way to start as its open-source :)

I wanted to ask for any recommendation on which board should be a good start to learn about embedded Linux. My requirements for the board are in general the following:

-Support for the Preempt-RT-Patch.
-Wireless capability (Wifi or BLE)
-I2C/SPI/UART peripherals
-DAC/ADC would be nice but not a must.

As I would like to learn how to build my own custom Image I am interested if there are also any examples with Yocto for any of the boards.

Regards
Bosch

luimarma

In my opinion OlinuxinoA20Micro should be your choice.
It is a mature board with accessible I/O for starting playing with, since the connectors are 0,1".
You can add wireless via usb and I2C/SPI/UART work just out of the box.
DAC/ADC I have never interfaced directly but used I2C to do this with external board.

I hope that this helps you.

Luis

amanda10

Quote from: bosch on May 06, 2021, 12:28:54 PMFirst of all I am sorry if this is not the correct category in the forum but I didn't find a  category thats related to my question.

I am an embedded developer that mostly works with MCUs. As I want to expand my skill set I want to start working with embedded linux and thought an OLinuXino board would be a great way to start as its open-source :)

I wanted to ask for any recommendation on which board should be a good start to learn about embedded Linux. My requirements for the board are in general the following:

-Support for the Preempt-RT-Patch.
-Wireless capability (Wifi or BLE)
-I2C/SPI/UART peripherals
-DAC/ADC would be nice but not a must.

As I would like to learn how to build my own custom Image I am interested if there are also any examples with Yocto for any of the boards.

Regards
Bosch

What started as a research project is now in the final stages of its journey to being marketed as a product.