Boot or /root on SATA without SPI

Started by tugabi, December 14, 2020, 03:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tugabi

Hello everyone,
I would like to know if there is any possibility for A20-Olinuxino-Lime2 without SPI flash to move the root filesystem to some external SATA device or even boot from SATA.
Thank you.

LubOlimex

It should be possible to boot from SATA, using latest Olimage Linux images.

Just run the "olinuxino-sd-to-sata" script.

~#olinuxino-sd-to-sata – allows booting from the SATA disk; transfers the Linux file system from the card to external SATA disk; boot is placed in SPI flash memory.

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

tugabi

Well, I have bought a product without SPI flash. I managed with "olinuxino-sd-to-sata" script to move the root filesystem to the SATA. With the modification of the /boot/uEnv.txt where I added "optargs=root=/dev/sda1" the system boots and everything works fine.
I guess the lack of SPI flash memory from the A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 I bought forces me to keep the SD card in place.

Best regards

tugabi

Quote from: tugabi on December 15, 2020, 10:30:33 AM... the system boots and everything works fine ...

For Ubuntu focal it seems to be problems with ca-certificates for: curl, wget, urlopen ...
Use: sudo update-ca-certificates --fresh

oliverbienert

Hello,
I recently bought a Pioneer Edition FreedomBox Home Server Kit (A20-OlinuXino-LIME2) from Olimex. Today I assembled the box with a bay-ssd in order to move the root filesystem to the new ssd to circumvent write issues on the sd-card . However, there is no "olinuxino-sd-to-sata" script in my system, at least I seem not be able to find it. Can this be downloaded somewhere else? Or is it not suitable for the freedombox edition?
Best regards

oliverbienert

I managed to followed the instructions here:

btrfs replace start -B /dev/mmcblk0p2 /dev/sda1 /
btrfs filesystem resize max /
reboot

So I obviously don't need the above mentioned script. Sorry for the noise.
Best Regards

LubOlimex

Thank you for the update, glad you got it solved.

The script you mentioned in the first post was meant for Olimage images, it is not present in FreedomBox.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex