ESP32-Devkit-Lipo power consumption in deep sleep

Started by willemmerson, October 28, 2020, 10:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willemmerson

I have an ESP32-Devkit-Lipo Rev. A (WROOM version) and have written a simple program to stay awake for 5 seconds then go into deep sleep for 5 seconds. The power consumption is around 30mA while awake which is expected but in deep sleep it is around 3.5mA, much more than the 65uA I was expecting. But now looking at the product page it seems that only the ESP32-WROVER-B has power consumption of 65uA, is this right or am I doing something wrong?

LubOlimex

Hello,

The reduced power consumption appears only when the unit is powered via the battery connector (assuming powering saving is not crucial with other methods of powering).

The advertised 65uA consumption applies only for ESP32-Devkit-Lipo boards from hardware revision B or newer. The power consumption was not minimized in hardware revision A. Refer to the revision changes file that describes what was improved, here:

https://github.com/OLIMEX/ESP32-DevKit-LiPo/blob/master/HARDWARE/REVISION-CHANGES.txt

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

willemmerson

That's a pity because I bought 2 of them   :(  :(  :(  :'(
How can the version be specified when buying? I only bought them a few months ago and was sent Rev A.
I am powering through the battery port by the way.

LubOlimex

I have to check exactly when revision B boards were released. Did you purchase directly from Olimex via our web-site?

willemmerson

LubOlimex

Unlucky timing you got one of the last revision A boards before we switched to the newer PCB design.