April 19, 2024, 09:08:54 AM

ESP32-DevKit-LiPo

Started by elkingonzalo, October 05, 2020, 06:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elkingonzalo

I am using the ESP32-DevKit-LiPo for prototyping, and I wanted to ask if you have any idea or suggestion to include a power ON-OFF switch for the system, that allow the user to charge the battery while it's off.

The first try I did was to use a transistor to enable and disable the ESP32, however while this works, when the system is "Off", the battery is slowly draining, so after 5 days is completely empty.

Can you suggest any circuit to implement an ON-OFF for this, ideally without small drainages of the battery?

LubOlimex

How do you usually power the board? What are the power supplies attached to it - only battery? I mean why don't you put a switch on all power supplies?

Alternatively, consider entering some deep sleep mode.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

elkingonzalo

The board is powered by the Battery, and it will be connected to 5V trough the 5V pin in order to be recharged the battery.

I used the ENABLE pin to "power off" the ESP32, however it seems there is some small current that discharge the battery in the "OFF" status. I believe this is related to the voltage regulator SY8089.

Do you have an idea to use this ESP32Lipo with an ON-OFF switch, in a way that the system can keep charged the battery in the OFF status?

Thanks for the support,

LubOlimex

There is no easy way to do that it would require hardware modifications, which if performed would make it impossible to have battery and and external power supply connected at the same time and this might lead to accidental short circuit. Also the whole thing makes no sense. If you wish to turn off the whole board, just put the switch on the two power sources.

The enable pin that you used is already connected to the reset button, you just kept the module in reset.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

spynappels

Quote from: LubOlimex on October 06, 2020, 04:12:22 PMThe enable pin that you used is already connected to the reset button, you just kept the module in reset.

If the slow battery discharge is not a problem, this should be a valid pseudo-powerswitch though, right? Does it also disable the Bluetooth radio etc?