SATA power insufficient?

Started by unicorn, July 10, 2020, 10:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unicorn

Hello,

I am trying to get my LIME2 Rev. K to run with one of two HDDs, using the SATA-CABLE-SET from Olimex:

The first one is an older WD Green 1TB rated "5VDC : 0.70A",
the second one is a WD Red 3TB rated "5VDC : 0.60A".
I am powering the LIME2 board with the power supply by Olimex rated 5V 1.2A.

Neither of the HDDs appear to work, they don't even seem to spin up, however my Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD rated 5V 1.4A starts and is recognized just fine, which is a puzzle to me. Is there something I am missing or that I do not understand? How could I get either of the HDDs to work with my LIME2?

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: Just to make sure you understand, one of the HDDs is supposed to be completely blank and the other has a whole bunch of stuff on it, which I know for sure.
I tested on the LIME2 with OpenBSD using `sysctl hw.disknames` and with a Debian SD card using `lsblk` and neither of the hard drives showed up on either operating system.

LubOlimex

This power supply is insufficient for a board + HDD/SSD. It is suitable to power only the board.

For a setup of board + HDD/SSD, try power supply that provides 2A or 3A at 5V. Something like this:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Power/SY1005E/
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

unicorn

Quote from: LubOlimex on July 10, 2020, 10:45:08 AMThis power supply is insufficient for a board + HDD/SSD. It is suitable to power only the board.

For a setup of board + HDD/SSD, try power supply that provides 2A or 3A at 5V. Something like this:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/Power/SY1005E/

Thank you, I see!
So 5V at 3A would be fine for the board? I want to make sure there is absolutely no chance of power issues with the drives, so I think it would be safer to go for a bit higher than 2A :)

LubOlimex

Also I don't think WD Green 1TB and WD Red 3TB would work at 5V only. I believe these are regular HDDs that require both 12V and 5V. These would probably never work when powered only by LIME2 and the cable set (you would probably need to find source of 12V to get those working with the board). I might be wrong, but I can be 100% precise if you post or link few pictures of the WD hard disks.

unicorn

Quote from: LubOlimex on July 10, 2020, 10:52:56 AMAlso I don't think WD Green 1TB and WD Red 3TB would work at 5V only. I believe these are regular HDDs that require both 12V and 5V. These would probably never work when powered only by LIME2 and the cable set (you would probably need to find source of 12V to get those working with the board). I might be wrong, but I can be 100% precise if you post or link few pictures of the WD hard disks.

Oh then I misinterpreted the text, I thought it was 5V OR 12V, not both 😅
They do indeed say 5VDC:0.70A and 12VDC:0.55A for the WD Green and a bit lower for the Red. So I can only stick to SSD or laptop HDD I assume then (if I dont have extra 12V power), since those two only list 5V.

LubOlimex

Yes, they require both 12V and 5V - regular PCs provide both! That is not the case with LIME2 and the SATA set - they have only 5V supply available. Most SSDs require only 5V too but you should read the specification of each unit to be certain.

unicorn

Thank you for your help!

I am going to buy a 5V 3A power supply and give it another go with an SSD and small HDD :)

Edit: It does indeed work with a 5V 3A power supply and a laptop HDD!