composite video output from A20 Olinuxino lime2

Started by flyingbaloon, May 20, 2020, 06:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingbaloon

Hi ,
I have recently purchased a A20 Olinuxino Lime2 , and want to use it with my old TV . My old Tv has a standard composite video input port (Video , AudioLeft, Audio Right) .  I can see that on the datasheet the composite video is outputted along TVOUT, TVOUT1,TVOUT2,AGND . How do i use that and make it work ? Does the official android image support it ? 

2) I have another question, I have another sbc with allwinner H3 chip that out of the box supports composite video and all i need to do is plug in a AV cable . How does this signal differ from the TVOUT signal from the olimex A20 board ?

Thanks a lot for your time and help .

LubOlimex

The hardware setup is pretty easy - it is actually two wire setup that should directly go to your TV, it is similar to what this customer did with A10 (A10 and A20 are pin-to-pin compatible chips): https://wot.lv/tv-out-on-olimexs-a10-lime.html

The software setup would require far more effort, and we haven't done it ourselves to be able to give you step by step instructions. I don't know about Android. What has to be done depends on the image used. If you use the old kernel Linux images you might even use the tips that the customer from the link above did (with the fex and the bin and so on).

If you use a newer image you would need to make an overlay.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

flyingbaloon

Thank you , will follow your advice and report back .

flyingbaloon

Hi , I have followed the link you sent and got the composite video out on the debian image. but the video is a bit shaky , currently I am using the TVOUT0 (GPIO_1 pin 20) and AGND (GPIO_1 pin 4) could you please tell me what is the role of the other pins labelled TVout1 and TVOUT2 ?   
Is there a way to use the other pins TVOUT1,TVOUT2 and get better image quality ?

Thanks