External power ESP32-POE-ISO

Started by Symonn, April 01, 2020, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symonn

Hi, i need to drive some led strips that draws 9W, so i can't use the PoE (that it's limited to 400mA), how i can attach an external 5VDC 3A to the board?

I can do that putting power to the 5V adn GND pins?

If at the same time there will be a PoE cable plugged in, i broke something?

Thanks.

LubOlimex

Don't do that! 5V on the header and 50V from the PoE at the same time is NOT a good idea.

Why do you want to power the strip via ESP32-PoE-ISO? Just power the strip from your external supply, and ESP32-PoE-ISO from either the same 5V source OR the PoE (but don't have both connected to the ESP32-PoE-ISO at the same time).
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Symonn

So, you recommend to use an external power supply for the strip, and other peripherals?

In this case i can use some mosfet to drive the strip, so basically, the ESP has it's own power source (POE or Micro-USB), and the power peripherals their own, right?

Thanks!

LubOlimex

Just don't apply simultaneously these two sources of power - 5V on the GPIO headers and PoE on the Ethernet connector. Also putting 10W through the board is unnecessary. Anything else is fine.

You can provide 5V on the headers of the PoE and power the LED strip from the same source (but this way 10-11W won't go through the board, and it is really unnecessary).

You can power the strip from the 5V source and have the PoE powered by another source (USB and/or Ethernet).

Symonn

Thanks LubOlimex, so i can safely use this reference schematic, right?

LubOlimex