April 16, 2024, 07:42:53 AM

stuck in a reboot loop

Started by razorboy, March 02, 2019, 04:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

razorboy

I just built a TERES laptop, and it's stuck in a reboot loop.
I assume a full OS is pre-loaded on the eMMC, but it doesn't get very far before rebooting.
I tried the v1.5 Xenial build on an SD card, but it also reboots after about 10 seconds.

In both cases I get the "Olimex" logo on the display, but that's it.
I captured console spew from the debug UART, but there aren't any obvious errors... it just resets over and over.

I don't have an internal battery for the TERES, since Olimex isn't able to ship them to the US.
I tried both the stock 5V 3A power supply, and another supply that can do up to 5A.
I would think that should be enough juice that the problem isn't a supply brown-out.

Is the TERES expected to work without a battery? Or do I just have a bad board?

Thanks!

LubOlimex

Oh, it won't run without battery connected.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

razorboy

Ok. Can you point me to someone that sells a battery that is compatible with the TERES and also ships to the US?

Also, can you tell me the manufacturer and model # of the battery plug and socket?
I looked at the PCB files, but I couldn't find the BOM, and I couldn't find the model # anywhere on the schematic or layout.

Thanks!

LubOlimex

This is the battery: https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY-Laptop/SPARE-PARTS/TERES-024-LiPo-battery/resources/JA426992P2P-Spec-Data-Sheet-3.7V-7000mAh--161201.pdf

It is also sold separately here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY-Laptop/SPARE-PARTS/TERES-024-LiPo-battery/

This is unfortunate, but it depends on carriers and the regulations by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Currently batteries can be shipped only by ground routes which means Europe only.

olimex

Razorboy how did you got your TERES without battery???
DHL allows us to ship TERES with battery if we put the battery in the plastic body and explicitely declare the shipment as dangerous with LiPo battery INSTALLED inside laptop.
Shipping only batteries is not possible but battery "installed" in equipment in quantity of 1 pce is allowed.
We ship all our TERES laptops with batteries so I do wonder how come you got yours without battery.

razorboy

I bought it as parts. Originally I was going to use a different mainboard, and I already had several spare 11" eDP displays, so I only bought the case and I/O boards. But the board I wanted to use did not fit, so I ordered the TERES mainboard later.

It's OK, now that I know the battery is the problem I can figure something out. I have a Li-ion battery from a cheap Windows laptop that will probably work. I need to change the connector, though.

Do you know what the model # is of the male plug on the battery? Everything I've read just says "Molex low-profile", which isn't very specific.

Thanks!

LubOlimex

Search for "A1254 series" connectors.