When will be available linux for A13

Started by redfox74, September 14, 2012, 11:44:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeHoPMaJIeH

Quote from: jwischka on September 27, 2012, 11:31:05 pm
Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 27, 2012, 09:44:10 am
Quote from: viniciusfre on September 21, 2012, 02:56:08 pm
Hi, HeHoPMaJIeH.

Do you run linux from an sd card or from nand?

Is it possible run linux from nand, overwriting the android?

hi,
it's possible to run linux from nand. You can download this image :
http://31.13.212.1/sun5i_linux_a13-evb.img and upload it to device with livesuit.
Keep in mind this is testing image :)
user : root
pass : password

Please send some feedback :)


A couple of questions:

1) Does this still require an update to uBoot? If so, is there a pre-built image that's available, as the link on the hno github for pre-builts does not seem to be working.

2) Is there any way to update the uBoot without a UART cable? If I'm reading the instructions on your wiki correctly, it seems as though the answer is no, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks

1. No, it's not necessary 
2. Yes you can, using fastboot mode

jwischka

Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 28, 2012, 12:40:00 am
Quote from: jwischka on September 27, 2012, 11:31:05 pm
Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 27, 2012, 09:44:10 am
Quote from: viniciusfre on September 21, 2012, 02:56:08 pm
Hi, HeHoPMaJIeH.

Do you run linux from an sd card or from nand?

Is it possible run linux from nand, overwriting the android?

hi,
it's possible to run linux from nand. You can download this image :
http://31.13.212.1/sun5i_linux_a13-evb.img and upload it to device with livesuit.
Keep in mind this is testing image :)
user : root
pass : password

Please send some feedback :)


A couple of questions:

1) Does this still require an update to uBoot? If so, is there a pre-built image that's available, as the link on the hno github for pre-builts does not seem to be working.

2) Is there any way to update the uBoot without a UART cable? If I'm reading the instructions on your wiki correctly, it seems as though the answer is no, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks

1. No, it's not necessary 
2. Yes you can, using fastboot mode


I flashed this image directly to the nand with Livesuit, but it is not booting. The initial Android screen comes up when the board is powered on, and then the screen goes blank. Can you give me any direction as to how to proceed? Do I need to flash a new uBoot, and if so, what is the best way to do that now that I no longer have access to adb?

Thanks!

HeHoPMaJIeH

can you paste log messages from debug uart ?

jwischka

Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 29, 2012, 06:28:00 pm
can you paste log messages from debug uart ?


I'll try to dig out a cable and get it hooked up here in a bit. Was hoping to avoid UART if at all possible.

jwischka

Quote from: jwischka on September 29, 2012, 08:27:35 pm
Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 29, 2012, 06:28:00 pm
can you paste log messages from debug uart ?


I'll try to dig out a cable and get it hooked up here in a bit. Was hoping to avoid UART if at all possible.


I'm actually not seeing anything on the UART - which I suspect means i'm doing something wrong. I've opened the COM port in putty, have the proper speeds set, and (think) I have the proper pins hooked up, but I'm not seeing anything at all come across. It could also be that my pin connections aren't that secure (using wires from my UART cable to the board). I'm assuming I should see *something*?

PeeJay

I tried to use that disk image today and I had trouble with it as well. uBoot loaded, but there was a crc error with the config file so it used defaults (which was ok anyway). I had to change the partition type to 0x07 for the fat one to get uboot to read the script.bin. The kernel booted, but couldn't detect the filesystem type on mmcblk0p2 so it would just reboot. Running fsck.ext4 fixed that. (It was ext4 right?)
Now it's working, but I've got the most hideous font I've ever seen on the screen!! :o Not sure if it's the kernel or debian, but mine didn't do that. I did select the builtin fonts when compiling the kernel though.

PeeJay

Oh, and can you include wpasupplicant in your image!

jwischka

Quote from: PeeJay on September 30, 2012, 03:04:35 pm
I tried to use that disk image today and I had trouble with it as well. uBoot loaded, but there was a crc error with the config file so it used defaults (which was ok anyway). I had to change the partition type to 0x07 for the fat one to get uboot to read the script.bin. The kernel booted, but couldn't detect the filesystem type on mmcblk0p2 so it would just reboot. Running fsck.ext4 fixed that. (It was ext4 right?)
Now it's working, but I've got the most hideous font I've ever seen on the screen!! :o Not sure if it's the kernel or debian, but mine didn't do that. I did select the builtin fonts when compiling the kernel though.


Did you do anything (initially) other than flashing the image to nand in livesuit?

Thanks

PeeJay

Quote from: jwischka on September 30, 2012, 03:48:16 pmDid you do anything (initially) other than flashing the image to nand in livesuit?


I didn't use nand, I put it on a sd card.

jwischka

Quote from: PeeJay on October 01, 2012, 04:18:26 am
Quote from: jwischka on September 30, 2012, 03:48:16 pmDid you do anything (initially) other than flashing the image to nand in livesuit?


I didn't use nand, I put it on a sd card.


Did you update uBoot before you did it?

Thanks

PeeJay

Quote from: PeeJay on September 30, 2012, 03:04:35 pmNow it's working, but I've got the most hideous font I've ever seen on the screen!! :o Not sure if it's the kernel or debian, but mine didn't do that. I did select the builtin fonts when compiling the kernel though.


The script.bin file you have included on the disk image seems to be the problem - it uses a much lower screen resolution than the other one you posted at http://31.13.212.1/script.bin.

HeHoPMaJIeH

Quote from: PeeJay on September 30, 2012, 03:04:35 pm
I tried to use that disk image today and I had trouble with it as well. uBoot loaded, but there was a crc error with the config file so it used defaults (which was ok anyway). I had to change the partition type to 0x07 for the fat one to get uboot to read the script.bin. The kernel booted, but couldn't detect the filesystem type on mmcblk0p2 so it would just reboot. Running fsck.ext4 fixed that. (It was ext4 right?)
Now it's working, but I've got the most hideous font I've ever seen on the screen!! :o Not sure if it's the kernel or debian, but mine didn't do that. I did select the builtin fonts when compiling the kernel though.

It's normal to use default settings :) i forgot to include env definitions :)

PeeJay


Srikant

Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 28, 2012, 12:37:12 am
Quote from: viniciusfre on September 27, 2012, 07:43:48 pm
Quote
Try this http://31.13.212.1/debian_2g.tar.bz2 , debian 2G image, copy it to uSD with DD :
dd if=debian_2g.img of=/dev/sdX, where X is you uSD card.
user: root
pass: password

I am runing linux in sdcard for the time being. But i am trying this image too(sun5i_linux_a13).

I tried to mount debian_2g.img, but I could not. I tried ext3,ext4, ... i got: "bad file system". What is the correct file system this image?

This is a RAW image, you can burn it to 2G uSD or you can build your own using instructions provided by hno and amery :)
If you want to resize image mount it in loop device, and use uSD creating instructions


Hi, thanks for sharing debian image. It worked like a charm. I'm using a13 tablet and surprisingly LCD also worked, but no touch and back light. I installed lxde on it and stuck at login prompt.
I disabled multi touch based on this link but no luck, any suggestions?  I also want to know is there any way I can extract uboot and sunxi-spl.bin from sdcard for backup.
Thanks again.

HeHoPMaJIeH

Quote from: Srikant on October 16, 2012, 05:21:08 pm
Quote from: HeHoPMaJIeH on September 28, 2012, 12:37:12 am
Quote from: viniciusfre on September 27, 2012, 07:43:48 pm
Quote
Try this http://31.13.212.1/debian_2g.tar.bz2 , debian 2G image, copy it to uSD with DD :
dd if=debian_2g.img of=/dev/sdX, where X is you uSD card.
user: root
pass: password

I am runing linux in sdcard for the time being. But i am trying this image too(sun5i_linux_a13).

I tried to mount debian_2g.img, but I could not. I tried ext3,ext4, ... i got: "bad file system". What is the correct file system this image?

This is a RAW image, you can burn it to 2G uSD or you can build your own using instructions provided by hno and amery :)
If you want to resize image mount it in loop device, and use uSD creating instructions


Hi, thanks for sharing debian image. It worked like a charm. I'm using a13 tablet and surprisingly LCD also worked, but no touch and back light. I installed lxde on it and stuck at login prompt.
I disabled multi touch based on this link but no luck, any suggestions?  I also want to know is there any way I can extract uboot and sunxi-spl.bin from sdcard for backup.
Thanks again.

Please tell me what LCD / Touch you are using. SPL and u-boot can be compiled bu source,you don't need to extract it :). Look at olimex.wordpress.com for instructions.