Board not working: blinking red PWR_LED

Started by baif, December 14, 2018, 12:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baif

I received my order yesterday unfortunately when I plug the card with
the power supply, I see that the card flashes red 2 times per second.
Did I order the correct SY0605E power supply for the
A20-OLinuXino-LIME2-e4GB Rev K card 2018. Is it 5V or 12V?
Is my card out of order?
What do you propose as a solution?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what I posted this morning to Olimex support.
But if someone on the forum could bring me his point of view, it would allow me to wait until the return of Olimex
Thank you in advance for any help  ;)

LubOlimex

First notice that all Olimex boards pass hardware and software tests after manufacturing and the chances of dead-on-arrival board are slim.

The red LED is "power ok" LED. When you apply power it should be solid on. It should NOT blink. If it blinks it might mean either that the power supply is insufficient or there is some hardware misconfiguration in your setup or hardware fault in either the board or any part of the setup.

You ordered the correct power supply but it is not very powerful and if you have the 6600mAh battery and the WIFI attached it might be insufficient in certain scenarios. I have few questions and one suggestion:

1. How do you connect to the board? Do you have USB-serial cable attached or you use HDMI? Or some other way?

2. The boards comes blank, you need to prepare a card with the official image first. What is the exact image that you download to the SD card? Did you test with the official images?

My advice:

3. First test just the board. Remove the battery and/or the WIFI module if you have them connected. Remove the board from the metalic box and place it on non-conductive surface. Then test again. Let us know how it goes.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

baif

Thank you for your reply,
But I had already tested with the card alone on a non-conductive plate without any other connection with and without SD card unfortunately the result remains the same.
My project was to use the card to install a piratebox with the image for The Internet Brick that was loaded from their tutorial.
See you soon ...

LubOlimex

I guess it is this: https://labriqueinter.net/

Still a blinking red LED is an indication of serious problem. I feel like there is some serious under voltage or massive short circuit and initially there is power but then the power management unit detects the massive current consumption due to the short and shuts everything down. And then this repeats. Can you make a short video and send us a link to see the behavior (maybe upload it to you tube or other video hosting site and give us the link).

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

baif

I guess it is this: https://labriqueinter.net/    YES

Can you make a short video and send us a link to see the behavior
IMG_20181214_182420.jpg
IMG_20181214_181630.jpg
VID_20181214_182306.mp4

https://we.tl/t-Hk4B7vzt4O

See you soon ...

olimex

Hi
can you measure what is the voltage at the power connector?
Looks like damaged power supply adapter.
Tsvetan

baif

Thank you for not letting me down :-)
  output voltage connector 5,96V
So it seems to me functional
Another track for this failure?
If not, do you guarantee an exchange guarantee?

olimex

it must be flat 5V
5.96 means broken adapter which will damage the board
probably the input TVS protection kick in and shut down the power supply, please check it's mounted on the bottom side between connector pins should be very hot

baif

Hello,
I wonder if we are not in misunderstanding (I am French and I use Google translate)
I measured the voltage on the round plug at the end of the black wire adapter plugged into 220V and I got 5V96 that is to say slightly less than 6V. This does not seem to me to correspond to an adapter that has failed.
When I plug and put my finger at the connector under the flashing card, I hardly feel a sense of warmth. I wonder if it is not less finger that produced this little noticeable heating. For me, we can not qualify this as very hot.
It seems to me that it is the card that is down.
Now what do you propose at the level of the commercial follow-up?
Return my card only for an exchange?
Thank you for telling me the procedure to follow;
cordially

JohnS

If it wants 5V then 5.96V is deadly, as stated already.

The typical tolerance is 5%.

John

olimex

my advice is to find another 5V regulated adapter which provides exactly 5V and minimum 1A of current and try again the board
please also measure what is the voltage of this adapter without load
my guess is faulty adapter
you can return both the adapter and board for inspection use support e-mail to get RMA

baif

Hello
Yesterday I sent an email to the support to get a return card RMA and the return condition under the warranty for the card and adapter.
I'm waiting for the response from the support.
Best regard
BH

wira

Hi,

Unfortunately, I've got the same problem.
I need a return card RMA as well.
Video link of the blinking red PWR_LED https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ptx8ODOI_nhKrIzcnnoR_rND0EC8frnh

Best Regards
Wira

JohnS

I believe Olimex makes it clear to contact them direct for RMA.

John