ESP32-POE Using the power from the powersupply

Started by Rick, November 22, 2018, 12:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Hello Everyone,

I recently received a ESP32-POE and I have this problem: I want to use the POE for peripherals like a 12V door magnet or a 12V smoke machine.

So I've been trying to "hack" this device to be able to supply 12V with a moderate wattage (max 9W).

I've seen that the powersupply on the board is of class 0. Which means it can deliver 15W. I've been thinking about two scenario's but I am too scared I will blow-up my ESP32-POE.

Scenario one: Use the 5V out of the powersupply and step it up to 12V and use it to connect my peripherals with a relay.

Scenario two: Use the "raw" 48V out of the POE and step it down to 12V and use it to connect my peripherals with a relay.

I am not sure the second scenario can work, because it will violate the 802.3AF rules.

Can somebody give me advise, do you think this is a smart way to achieve what I want? Or do you have a better idea?

Rick

dyne

I was hoping someone could comment on the second scenario. I'd like to use an esp32-poe to control a tiny motor and don't want to risk burning out the esp32 by having it directly power the motor. Can I power a buck converter from the ethernet cable and have it run in parallel with the es32-poe?

Symonn

Quote from: Rick on November 22, 2018, 12:38:02 PMHello Everyone,

I recently received a ESP32-POE and I have this problem: I want to use the POE for peripherals like a 12V door magnet or a 12V smoke machine.

So I've been trying to "hack" this device to be able to supply 12V with a moderate wattage (max 9W).

I've seen that the powersupply on the board is of class 0. Which means it can deliver 15W. I've been thinking about two scenario's but I am too scared I will blow-up my ESP32-POE.

Scenario one: Use the 5V out of the powersupply and step it up to 12V and use it to connect my peripherals with a relay.

Scenario two: Use the "raw" 48V out of the POE and step it down to 12V and use it to connect my peripherals with a relay.

I am not sure the second scenario can work, because it will violate the 802.3AF rules.

Can somebody give me advise, do you think this is a smart way to achieve what I want? Or do you have a better idea?

Rick

Rick, what kind of hack you have used to draw 15w from the POE of the board?

Thanks!