Beginning With iMX233

Started by pc24, January 11, 2013, 02:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pc24

Hi,

I'm new to the forms, Linux and ARM in general!

I've been dealing with Microchip for the past decade or so, from PIC16 all the way up to PIC32.  I never have programmed any ARM chip, and I have recently started looking around at other microcontrollers.

I saw the iMX233-OLinuXino-MICRO advertised on Digikey the other day for $30 and thought it was a neat board, with Linux (new to me) an ARM CPU (new to me) more than likely a true MMU (new to me) if it's running Linux, so I just had to buy it, an impulse buy.

I've just been reading topics in the forms about the board on the Olimex website.

So far, from what I've read, it seem's that most people write programs that are more like scripts for this platform.

With that said, I have a few questions:

1. Can I write programs in C that the microcontroller can run in Linux?
2. I'm new to ARM, I have no idea what tool chain I would need to program this CPU, any links or suggestions?
3. How is it possible to get a program or script executed by the microcontroller?

ANy insight, pointers, or links for getting started writing programs for this platform would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

zgyarmati

Hi pc24,

so, to get familiar with the system used on you new board, probably the most logical way would be to install a Linux on a desktop machine (which could be also in Virtualbox or Vmware player as well, not on your real PC). First off all, then you can get know Linux itself, and also you will need a Linux host later to compile your own programs. For the start, you can find tons of tutorials on the web, check out for example this one: http://lifehacker.com/5778882/getting-started-with-linux-the-complete-guide for the real beginning. I know it seems to be a bit far from your goals, and a lot to learn, but with strong technical background (which i suppose you have, if you are working with uC programming since long years), you will pass quickly the first chapters.

Otherwise, if you want some quick results (which could give a great motivation for the further learning anyway:), just download an image with Linux installed for the Olinuxino (you can found some if you look around here in the forum and the wiki), copy it to your SD card, boot it and connect to the board via  serial port with your favorite serial terminal program, and follow this tutorial: http://olimex.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/blinking-led-with-linux-or-hello-world-with-imx233-olinuxino/ to blink your first LED :)

Good luck!
--<br />Zoltan Gyarmati

pc24

Thanks for the links!

That first link is something that I really need to read, because my familiarity with Linux is almost non-exsistent.

I got the SD card w/ Linux distribution, but I don't know any of the batch programs and what they do, and the screen is shifted a few characters left and 1 line up.

This pretty much leaves me dead in the water for now until I learn more about Linux in general.

I'm going to have to use the serial debugging tool once I learn more about Linux.

Thank you for the pointers! (No pun intended)

zgyarmati

You can use the serial terminal you got use to under Windows (at least i assume you use one for uC projects). Once you set up the connection, you don't really need the screen, just follow the linked LED blinking tutorial. You need a RS232/TTL converter connected to the board's serial connector and your PC, and set you serial terminal program to 115200 baud rate, and log in with the user "root" and if you have a factory provided system on the SD card, than probably the password "a", and you can type in the commands from the tutorial.
--<br />Zoltan Gyarmati