March 29, 2024, 12:43:21 AM

phantom keys

Started by khumarahn, June 13, 2018, 10:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khumarahn

Hi!

I keep having strange issues with my keyboard. Sometimes there would be a phantom F11 key press, but not frequently, and this is not a big problem because it makes the current window go fullscreen, and there is little harm.

Recently I started getting a phantom comma ",", and rather often. This is more disturbing, because it interferes with what I am writing.

Any advice how to find where the problem is?

I travel with the laptop quite a lot. There could easily be some dislocated cable connectors. I did not yet open the laptop to check. But the problem with the phantom F11 has been around forever, since I carefully assembled the laptop for the first time.

khumarahn

I opened the case, and the cables seem all right. Anyway, I disconnected and reconnected most of them. Is there anything special about the comma or F11?

khumarahn

I disconnected and carefully reconnected all cables on the photo, but this did not solve the problem.

lambda

Quote from: khumarahn on June 18, 2018, 11:50:23 AM
I disconnected and carefully reconnected all cables on the photo, but this did not solve the problem.

It is a USB-keyboard. It stands to reason, that the wiring is okay, otherwise it wouldn't work at all. (Probably wouldn't even probe successfully.) The issue must be within the keyboard itself. Maybe some dirt crept in at one point?

khumarahn

But the battery connector has loads of pins, so it is not USB?

I removed the comma key, looked under it with a flashlight. Did not see anything suspicious.

khumarahn

I will have to solve this. Most of my work is related to typing, and the extra commas screw things up.

I noticed that the commas appear at a steady rate if the laptop is left alone on a table, with no touching or significant mechanical vibrations.

khumarahn

I can't find the fault (and the keyboard pinout). Teres is endeavorously adding commas all over my papers (do not blame me). I think I will order a new keyboard.

Does anyone have experience in replacing the keyboard? I am looking for an advice, because this looks really complicated. I need to find a way to unglue the battery and the touchpad. Should I expect problems and buy a new touchpad? Is it safe to heat the battery (to soften the glue)?

JC

Sorry to hear about the rogue commas.

You can heat the glue around the battery and the touchpad with a hair dryer, but I would advise against a heat gun unless you take caution with the temperature/distance/time. You may also consider fastening the battery, etc, back down with something more like Velcro or similar/removable material.

olimex

hi
can you please shot some small video and show us what you do, we never encounter something like this
Tsvetan

khumarahn

@olimex: I placed an order for a new keyboard with touch. But there was no option to choose a WHITE version. I wrote a note in shipping details, but I am not sure it will be noticed.

olimex

I see you add this in the NOTE field
so do not worry all notes are read :)

JC

Any luck with the new keyboard?

khumarahn

yes! I received the new keyboard quickly, quite some time ago, but only yesterday installed it. It fixed the problem.

Also, I did not yet notice the phantom F11. With the previous keyboard, I had infrequent phantom F11 from the very beginning.

olimex

Can you send the faulty things to us for analyze ? we will credit your shipping expense in future order
Thanks
Tsvetan