ESP32-EVB, how to connect JTAG Debugger

Started by Ruppie, January 20, 2018, 05:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruppie

I would like to ask how to connect an JTAG debugger ?
I can't find a header to connect a debugger.
Is it possible to konect an debugger to the board
If it is not possible on thos board Revision, please provide on on the next board review

Thanks in Advance

JohnS

Looks like you need to use the MTDI, MTDO, MTMS, MTCK signals but some are already used (see schematic).

If so, I think you'd have to disconnect them.

John

LubOlimex

For the hardware connection between the JTAG and the ESP32-EVB you can use wires and the extension header EXT1:

Pin #13 - GPIO12/IR_Transmit - MTDI = TDI

Pin #14 - GPIO13/I2C-SDA – MTCK = TCK

Pin #15 - GPIO14/HS2_CLK – MTMS = TMS

Pin #16 - GPIO15/HS2_CMD - MTDO = TDO

Pin #34 - GND

Refer to the schematic for better understanding. Since there is multiplexing with the SD card interface, make sure that any SD card is removed from ESP32-EVB. Once you identify the hardware points for the connection read here: http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api-guides/jtag-debugging/#jtag-debugging-how-it-works

If you need a compatible OpenOCD debugger, consider our mature and well-known products – ARM-USB-TINY-H and ARM-USB-OCD-H.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Ruppie

Hello,
i tried to use VISUALGDB for development and got an error message as shown below:
Can someone give an explanaiten what caused this error message and show me some hints to try fixing,please.

C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\OpenOCD\bin\openocd.exe -c "gdb_port 61847" -c "telnet_port 61848" -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h.cfg -f target/esp32.cfg -c "adapter_khz 3000" -c "echo VisualGDB_OpenOCD_Ready"
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2017-08-05)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "jtag". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
force hard breakpoints
adapter speed: 3000 kHz
VisualGDB_OpenOCD_Ready
Error: no device found
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 15ba, pid 002a, description 'Olimex OpenOCD JTAG ARM-USB-TINY-H', serial '*' at bus location '*'

What may cause this error:
What are correct settings of adapter within deice manager, wich driver to use, VisualGDB settings ?

LubOlimex

Your drivers are improper, it seems. Use this VisualGDB tutorial as a basis (and the USBDriverTool that they mention): https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp8266/olimex/ - start from point 6.

vinifr

hi,

I tried this connections but did not work

Connections ESP32 - ARM-USB-OCD
gpio12 - TTDI
gpio13 - TTCK
gpio14 - TTMS
gpio15 - TTDO
GND    - GND

I used this command with openocd-esp32:
openocd -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg -f board/esp-wroom-32.cfg

vinifr

Hi,

I now connected JTAG VREF to ESP32 3V3 and something started to work!
Info : clock speed 20000 kHz
Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu0 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu1 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
Info : esp32: Debug controller was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x4F).
Info : esp32: Core was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x4F).
cpu0: Current bits set: BreakIn BreakOut RunStallIn
cpu1: Current bits set: BreakIn BreakOut RunStallIn

But after connect to gdb using: xtensa-esp32-elf-gdb -ex 'target remote localhost:3333' build/evd_esp32.elf I got this:

Info : accepting 'gdb' connection on tcp/3333
Error: Exception reading lcount!

Info : Target halted. PRO_CPU: PC=0x00000000 (active)    APP_CPU: PC=0x00000000
Error: cpu0: xtensa_write_memory (line 759): DSR (00000007) indicates target still busy!
Error: cpu0: xtensa_write_memory (line 759): DSR (00000007) indicates DIR instruction generated an exception!
Warn : esp32: Failed writing 4 bytes at address 0x3FF60064, data - a1, 3a, d8, 50, a1, 3a, d8, 50
embedded:startup.tcl:21: Error:
in procedure 'halt'
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'
in procedure 'esp_core_halt'
in procedure 'esp32' called at file "/usr/local/share/openocd/scripts/target/esp32.cfg", line 47
in procedure 'ocd_bouncer'
at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 21

Error: cpu0: xtensa_read_memory (line 652): DSR (8000CC13) indicates DIR instruction generated an exception!
Warn : cpu0: Failed reading 5880 bytes at address 0x40090000
Error: no working area available, can't alloc space for stub code!
Error: Failed to load stub (-308)!
Error: Algorithm run faied (-308)!
Error: Faied to run flasher stub (-308)!
Error: Failed to get flash mappings (-308)!
Error: auto_probe failed
Error: Connect failed. Consider setting up a gdb-attach event for the target to prepare target for GDB connect, or use 'gdb_memory_map disable'.
Error: attempted 'gdb' connection rejected
Info : esp32: Debug controller was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x0F).
Info : esp32: Core was reset (pwrstat=0x5F, after clear 0x0F).

JohnS

You may get help from the oocd ML.  They'll need -d3 log.

John

LubOlimex