I cannot connect AVRISP mkII in Atmel Studio 7 under Windows 10

Started by Jerome, November 27, 2017, 05:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerome

Hello,

Things are going better by applying the fix found in a previous post (set "check firmware" to false in tool settings)

But I get now the message "Failed to get interface clock value. Does the target have power?"

(the target is well powered by the ARVISP and after having double checked, the ISP signals are well mapped)

In the past, with Atmel genuine AVRISP, this kind of behaviour was associated to a too high frequency for the interface. With Olimex AVRISP, the button "Interface settings" in the tool menu does nothing (I cannot access to the settings of the interface frequency)

What to do please?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Regards,
Jerome

LubOlimex

I haven't seen this message but it seems quite straight-forward.

What is the position of the two jumpers? Is the powering to the target allowed? Is the voltage correct? Refer to the bottom of the picture shown here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Programmers/AVR-ISP-MK2/resources/isp-mk2-layout-connectors.png

What is your target exactly? Are you aware that AVR-ISP-MK2 has no 6-pin ISP connector?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Jerome

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

The jumpers are OK.

In fact I have tried all cases (target supplied by the AVRISP or by external supply and also I have tried to use the AVRISP from Olimex with a target working at 3.3V and with another board working at 5.0V)

I have tried the AVRISP from Olimex on two targets on which the genuine AVRISP mkII from Atmel inside AVR Studio 7, and even programmers from Kanda with avrdude or with their own PC application) work well.

As my boards use the 6 pin ISP standard for AVR, I have used an adapter 10 pins to 6 pins made for Kanda programmers, and which work well with them (the same 10 pin standard that you use in this product)

As I wish to use the AVRISP inside Atmel Studio 7 (under Windows 10), I have associed the AVRISP Olimex to one of the two Jungo drivers which are available in my HDD (I have tried both Jungo drivers but only one of them allows the connection to the AVRISP from Olimex).

So everything seems correct to me at this stage, I don't understand why it does not work (I have also checked one by one the continuity of the four signals from the 10 pin connector to the corresponding pins of the microcontroller, no cut, no short...). I have no idea of other things to try.

Kind Regards,
Jerome

LubOlimex

QuoteAs I wish to use the AVRISP inside Atmel Studio 7 (under Windows 10), I have associed the AVRISP Olimex to one of the two Jungo drivers which are available in my HDD (I have tried both Jungo drivers but only one of them allows the connection to the AVRISP from Olimex).

So everything seems correct to me at this stage, I don't understand why it does not work (I have also checked one by one the continuity of the four signals from the 10 pin connector to the corresponding pins of the microcontroller, no cut, no short...). I have no idea of other things to try.

The drivers are bad.

You need to install specific drivers. How to manually install the drivers, over the automatically installed ones or Jungo ones:

1.1 Make sure that you have downloaded and extracted the drivers provided for AVR-ISP-MK2, available here:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Programmers/AVR-ISP-MK2/resources/DRIVER-MK2-AS-6-7-W10.zip

1.2. Connect AVR-ISP-MK2 to the personal computer.
1.3. You should now have some entry for it in "Windows Device Manager". If you can't identify the entry unplug and re-plug the AVR-ISP-MK2 until you are sure. It might be good idea to uninstall any drivers related to the tool, but in most cases if you do everything correctly this shouldn't matter.
1.4. Right-click over the entry for the cable.
1.5. Select "Update Driver Software".
1.6. Select "Browse my computer for driver software".
1.7. Select the bottom option "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
1.8. Click "Have Disk" and point to the place where you extracted the drivers from the archive and select "AVRISP_mkII.inf" then click "Open".
1.9. Select "Next", and if a warning pops up select "Install Anyway" and after installation close the window.
1.10. Inspect the new entry in "Windows Device Manager" after the driver installation and ensure that there are no errors or warnings.
1.11. Test again.

Here I uploaded a screenshot of what you should see if the drivers are installed properly (I use ATmega16A target):

Jerome

OK but your answer is a little bit short: which is the good driver? (I have also tried the libusb-win32 driver and it doesn't work better)

LubOlimex

Jerome

It was well a problem of driver, it works well now, thank you for your efficient support :)
Jerome