Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gentoo [26 September 2018] [deadline, encrypted home, squashed portage]  (Read 6242 times)

lambda

• Support my work
Re: Gentoo [26 April 2018] [now with binary repo and f2fs]
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »
I am impatiently waiting on the mainline to catch up with things like sound and suspend. I use my laptop for work when I travel, and these small things feel important.

I don't think anybody is looking into suspend issues, but since it probably is something fairly trivial, maybe you can try to debug this yourself ...

(I guess experimenting with the PMIC related patches mentioned in the other thread recently might be a good start ...)

HTH,
Harald

khumarahn

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
experimenting with the PMIC related patches might be a good start

thanks!! I may look at it, though this will hardly happen soon.

d3f

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
I've downloaded the last your gentoo version. It looks nice and faster boot but how do you resize the root partition? Doesn't look so easy as ext3/4.

-L

khumarahn

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
I did not have time recently to look at how the f2fs partitions are resized. Would gparted do it in gui somehow automatically?

In any case, you can save all the contents with rsync -aAxXhH, recreate the partition and copy the contents back.

Let me know if there are any issues.

khumarahn

Re: Gentoo [26 September 2018] [deadline, encrypted home, squashed portage]
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
I have been procrastinating from doing my most important work by updating Gentoo on Teres. So here is a set of updated configuration files and a new image:
https://github.com/khumarahn/teres1-gentoo

New things:
* I used the `deadline` scheduler for the IO. It prioritizes reads, storing writes for later. On Teres, where IO is a major bottleneck, it seems to improve overall latency. Say, chromium feels much more responsive. Or is it a placebo?

* Home folder is now encrypted with encfs, the password is asked at boot. I use my laptop on travel, and would not want to lose it with all those paypal cookies and passwords saved in my browser. This takes a toll on the IO, but not too much.

* Everything is rebuilt with newer compilers (gcc-8, clang-7). Many programs are updated, e.g. kicad to version 5.0.0.

* Portage is compressed into squashfs with squashmount; this frees up aroung 1GB. (Portage stores loads of small files in the filesystem; this is largely inefficient but not a problem on most modern computers.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:12:32 PM by khumarahn »