Lime2 fails to reboot with u-boot mainline + sunxi-next

Started by leonardo.taglialegne, June 19, 2017, 12:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonardo.taglialegne

I've compiled both u-boot and the kernel from the defconfig (with minimal adjustments for adding squashfs to the kernel, everything else untouched).

It boots and works fine, but when I try to reboot it hangs while displaying the "DRAM: 1GB" line.

It shows "DR" and then hangs there, no output from UART and nothing else happens (tried leaving it there for >30mins).

Any clues on what might have gone wrong?
Should I simply use legacy u-boot and be done with it? (will it boot a sunxi-next kernel?)

LubOlimex

What type of reset is that? Soft reset via command or hard reset via the button?

Give a try to the mainline image of Armbian to determine if it is caused by the kernel itself or the rest of the settings.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

leonardo.taglialegne

Soft reset via "reboot" command.

Using armbian I can reboot fine, so I guess it's something in either the version or configuration I'm using.

Do you know where can I find the exact versions and configurations that armbian is using?

igorpec

QuoteShould I simply use legacy u-boot and be done with it? (will it boot a sunxi-next kernel?)

Legacy u-boot won't boot mainline kernel properly ... but here as I understand it hangs at u-boot / SPL stage.

We use upstream u-boot v2017.05 with stock config + those patches https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi

Take a quick look if you find something relevant to this problem. I think I saw this problem before on some other A20 board, but can't recall what was the solution.
linux for ARM development boards
www.armbian.com

leonardo.taglialegne

Uhm, further tests show that even armbian's u-boot hangs at the same stage.

Any further ideas or tests to try?

mrmajestyk

I am experiencing the same issue - though not consistently. Four out of five times or so, the board will soft boot OK but then a hang will occur. This makes the board a little bit awkward unfortunately.

I have tried different versions of U-boot, but it seems this error actually occurs before hand-off to U-boot, so I really don't know how to fix this. I would be very interested to hear of any solutions out there.

igorpec

Quote from: mrmajestyk on July 29, 2017, 12:04:44 AM
I am experiencing the same issue - though not consistently. Four out of five times or so, the board will soft boot OK but then a hang will occur. This makes the board a little bit awkward unfortunately.

I have tried different versions of U-boot, but it seems this error actually occurs before hand-off to U-boot, so I really don't know how to fix this. I would be very interested to hear of any solutions out there.

Perhaps experimenting with DRAM_CLK might be a good way to go ?
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/u-boot/blob/master/configs/A20-OLinuXino-Lime2_defconfig#L4
linux for ARM development boards
www.armbian.com