A20 Olinuxino LIM2 eMMC board

Started by pilipe, October 27, 2023, 05:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilipe

Hi everyone,

I am knew to this forum as I am experiencing my first problem with the board. I bought a SSD 1To MX500 2,5 inch from crucial. I would like to connect it to my olimex board. I bought the olimex sata-cable-set and installed them.

After connecting both cables, the SATA interface connector and SATA power connector,  I could not list the SSD in a terminal with 'lsblk' command.

It seems like the power is not given to th SSD. I understand the 5V_E_SATA jumper is open by default.

How can I close it and where is it located on the board ?

Is there a software way with a driver to let the board decide whether to power the connecter or not according to the presence of the SSD ?

Let me know if you need further more info. and sorry for my poor english.

WBR,

Pilipe

LubOlimex

The 5V_E_SATA is opened but you don't need to close it to get SATA powering. It is there if you wish to shunt (circumvent) the FET1. By default FET1 controls SATA powering via PC3/SATA-PWR-EN wire. If you close 5V_E_SATA there would always be 5V there but this might harmful for your hard disk especially if your power supply goes missing(it is usually good idea to have software way of shutting down the hard disk).

Make sure you are using the proper connector for the SATA power. Some people confuse the SATA power connector and the Li-Po battery connector.

Make sure the hard disk works at 5V power.

Make sure your power supply is good enough for maximum wattage for the hard disk and the board. Consider at least 10W power supply but 15W (maximum 3A at 5V) might be even better.

Make sure to first test with Olimage Linux, you can find out more about Olimage in this document here:

https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/blob/master/DOCUMENTS/OLIMAGE/Olimage-guide.pdf

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

pilipe

Hi and thanks LubOlimex for your reply,

Yes, I am using the proper SATA-CABLE-SET Olimex PN 9000047457.

Yes, the SSD works at 5V and 1,7A. With my board consuming 2W, I need a 5V/3A adaptator.

I am not yet equipped to run a Olimage Linux test. But thank you for your proposition.

I placed an order today for the SY1505E PS adapter as there are no info on my current PS adapter telling me its electrical characteristics. But if the problems originates from a lack of power I guess my PS adapter is either 5V/1A or 5V/2A.

Hope this will be the case.

Would you please be kind enough to confirm me if I can connect a crucial 2.5 inch 1OOOGB MX500 SSD on a A20 Olinuxino LIME2 eMMC ARM board ?

Thanks for your support again.

I will let you know if the new PS adapter solves my problem when I receive it in three days from now.

WBR,

Pilipe

LubOlimex

> I am not yet equipped to run a Olimage Linux test. But thank you for your proposition.

It is important to start with Olimage first, it is guaranteed to have things working. Enabling power supply requires your software to trigger PC3/SATA-PWR-EN to enable the SATA powering after the boot. Just download the archive with latest base image and download to a microSD card with free version of software called BalenaEtcher.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex