Damaged Olinuxino-Micro?

Started by lordlothar, December 18, 2012, 12:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordlothar

Hello,

I just received my A13-olinuxino-micro and I have already encountered some problems. I used 5V/1A power adapter to power it on and as soon I connected it to the power, it started smelling like burnt plastic and it began to smoke! I immediately removed it from power to prevent further damage to the board.I can see that U7 (SY8008C(AA)C) is a bit inflated, but the board powers on and the login screen appears! Could it be something on top of it, like glue, that was burnt?

Also, when I connect a keyboard to USB-HOST will it work immediately or do i have to enable drivers first?

Thanks in advance!

jeroends

Hello,
I just booted the micro also for the first time. Also some probs are rising.
When booting up with no usb devices attached everything boots (almost) fine. When connecting for ex a usb keyboard, a port change is detected, but that's it:
ehci_irq: port change detect                                                   
[   31.130000] ehci_irq: port change detect                                                     
ehci_irq: port change detect                                                                   
[   31.290000] ehci_irq: port change detect                                                     
The port change to OHCI now!                                                                   
[   31.350000] The port change to OHCI now

Disconnecting the keyboard and do a reboot through the serial console, but then halts at the detection of the serial ports. Power the board and of and everything boots up again.
<6>Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled                                     
[uart]: failed to get uart2's used information                                                 
[uart]: failed to get uart3's used information                                                 
[uart]: used uart info.: 0x02                                                                   
<6>sunxi-uart.1: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x1c28400 (irq = 2) is a U6_16550A

At last, after a powerup with an usb keyboard (or hub or ...) attached, it gives me an error at the sw.ohci and halts with the population of /dev
<4>sw-ohci sw-ohci.1: Unlink after no-IRQ?  Controller is probably using the wrong IRQ.         
[    6.360000] sw-ohci sw-ohci.1: Unlink after no-IRQ?  Controller is probably using the wrong I
RQ.
...snap...
Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd<30>udevd[119]: starting version 175               
[    8.630000] udevd[119]: starting version 175                                                 
.                                                                                               
Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.                                                 
Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...

good news: no burned smells  ;)

ps: just noticed an other rarity: when extracting the power from the board, the power led seems to lite up a bit, when disconnecting the serial convertor (the one sold here), the power led goes off. Maybe this is causing the problem at reboot untill serial port detection ...

olimex

the smoke will appear if you apply more than 5V or reversed voltage :)

note that USB host is only HIGH SPEED, if you want to attach HID low speed devices to it you have to do this via hub which supports lo/hi speed

interesting feature is that A13 USB-OTG supports HID devices like mouses, keyboards etc but to connect them you will need this adapter: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Components/Misc/USB-MINI-2-USB-HOST/

jeroends

That did indeed the trick  :)
Keyboard is now recognized through the hub.
For the halt at serial port: I've let the board on for a little while longer and it booted up further.
Now I've just have to wait for my usb to ethernet convertor and we 're of to go  :)

lordlothar

Thanks for the replies! Strange thing is I double-checked me power supply and I am quite sure I connected it the correct way and it is 5V/1A...

Anyway, now it seems to boot fine, the only problem is that tty1 (the vga terminal) hangs after ~10 minutes, even if I restart its process, it remains unresponsive.

Any solution to this?