MSP430FR5969 LaunchPad + MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 + Olimex MSP430 Programmer

Started by Hua.Ai, September 07, 2016, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hua.Ai

Hi there,

I got a weird problem in a setup involving MSP430FR5969 LaunchPad + MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2 + Olimex MSP430 Programmer:

1. If I use MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2's standalone mode to program MSP430FR5969 on its launchpad dev board, everything works (I can program both data and code memory).
2. If I switch to MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2's debugger mode, and use Olimex MSP430 Programmer software to program, I am able to program the data memory, but not the code memory (verify failed after write).

Between setup 1 and 2, no hardware/cable connection is changed/touched.

And in setup 2, I was able to read, erase and verify both memory properly. For write, I was able to write data memory properly, just not the code memory.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hua

Hua.Ai

After checking with a colleague I can confirm now that at one point of the time this was working... I was able to program the code memory through MK2's debugger mode using Olimex MSP430 Programmer software... Erase first, then write, then verify successfully.

He was having the same problem earlier in a different project but didn't have the time to look into it. In this project I got it working at a point, and shew it to him, he double checked the process and confirmed it was working. Now my setup went bad too for some reason.

To rule out that the case that my launchpad board or the controller went bad, I replaced it with a different development board, which we can use TI's ccs to program and debug successfully. It failed again on this new board. So I am pretty sure the problem is in my setup, not the launchpad board or the controller on this board.

The fact that I can program the controller in standalone mode, that means the connections and firmware from MK2 to the controller should be fine.

I swapped the USB cable between my laptop and the MK2 programmer, it didn't make a difference. The firmware in MK2 should be the same... the most likely variable in this setup seems to be Olimex MSP430 Programmer software on my laptop.

I will try to uninstall the software and the driver and install it back to see if it makes a difference.

Hua.Ai

Hi Lub,

Reinstalling Olimex MSP430 Programmer doesn't seem to make a difference. But in the installation process I noticed in terms and condition agreement it mentioned that the software was done before those >64K controllers such as MSP430FR5969 were released. So it does not guarantee to support those new devices.

At the same time it mentioned a newer version of command line tool is released with support for >64K controllers and many bug fixes. Is mspprog-cli-v2.exe the tool it refers to?

And is it a lost cause trying to get this working or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hua

Hua.Ai

Tried mspprog-cli-v2.exe, got the same result. Can't write the code memory.

c:\Olimex\MSP430 Programmer>mspprog-cli-v2.exe /p=USB /d=msp430fr5969 /ec
MSP430 DLL version 2.0.0.7 .
Currrent device voltage U=0 mV.
External voltage U=3339 mV.
INFO memory unlocked.
Erased code memory.
Executing post-session actions: none

c:\Olimex\MSP430 Programmer>mspprog-cli-v2.exe /p=USB /d=msp430fr5969 /f=rs.txt /w
External voltage U=3330 mV.
INFO memory unlocked.
WARNING: Info memory section not present in file!
Wrote file "rs.txt" to device memory.

c:\Olimex\MSP430 Programmer>mspprog-cli-v2.exe /p=USB /d=msp430fr5969 /f=rs.txt /v
External voltage U=3321 mV.
INFO memory unlocked.
WARNING: Info memory section not present in file and will NOT be verified!
***ERROR: Verification failed***
JTAG DLL had this to say: No error
Press any key to continue . . .

c:\Olimex\MSP430 Programmer>mspprog-cli-v2.exe /p=USB /d=msp430fr5969 /f=rs_v.txt /rc
External voltage U=3321 mV.
INFO memory unlocked.
Read target device memory and stored data in "rs_v.txt".

Hua.Ai

Just to update that we have gone back to use TI's JTAG programmer and it worked like a charm... We picked this programmer initially because we had success using it on a different project in which TI's programmer didn't work. But in this case TI's JTAG programmer won.