Lime 2 goes to sleep/offline

Started by cabsandy, September 05, 2016, 10:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabsandy

Posted in another forum...been told to post here before the Ebay seller will accept a return.Can someone advise?

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1929-lime-2-goes-to-sleepoffline/?view=getnewpost

Hi there

Have purchased a Lime 2 device, as it offered GigE-which my Pi's dont :-) Loaded up both the vanilla and the normal distro's but both have this annoying habit of the device just goes to sleep-sometimes after a few hours. When I say sleep, I can still see the Ethernet LED's blinking away-but it wont respond to PING's, and it wont respond to SSH. Plugging in a monitor and keyboard doesn't bring it back to life either. If I power recycle it (2.5A unit being used-have tried the OTG and the 5vdc but no difference), up she comes. Fully updated in terms of packages.

I have even set up a continuous ping to my home router from the Lime 2 (its on my internal LAN) to see of this would keep it up, but no luck. I've searched up on this, but nothing I find seems to make any difference.

Before I send it back (UK reseller), anyone have any ideas on what I could try? Desperate for the thing to work, but as it would be in a remote location, no way can I use it if it decides to give up the ghost on a random basis! :-)

cheers

cabs

JohnS

Sounds like software to me if you have solid power and cabling.

For software try linux-sunxi ML.

John

cabsandy

Cheers
Sounds like a plan!

So I dont waste any more time, or make any more mess-ups, do you have a link to the right image please?

cheers

cabs

JohnS

cabsandy

JohnS

Try re-reading what I posted.  Doesn't point to any images does it?

You could try the idea, though.  Your choice.  Maybe you have better ideas...

John

cabsandy

Ack-your obviously having a bad day my man. I hope tomorrow is better.

cheers

cabs

JohnS

I'm fine but TBH I object to your asking something I never offered then being immature about it.

I for sure won't offer any help to you again.  Big win.

Truly free help is sometimes treated with bad grace.

John

neomanic

We are having the same issues with 5 separate Lime2-eMMC rev E boards, which are running SSDs, batteries (to allow for clean shutdown), 2x USB devices and Ethernet. Running recent Armbian, mainline kernel.

Changing the CPU governor via cpufrequtils really reduced the number of hangs (from daily), but we are still getting them sporadically, perhaps once a week.

We have set the watchdog timer on, so when the board does hang then it reinitialises itself and is back online within 60 seconds. But obviously this is an issue we would like to address. Our next step, assuming that no-one has other suggestions, is to try a legacy kernel.

sovking

I'm having the same problem, the board hangs (or sleep) without a reason after 3 or 4 days of running.
It's attached to external battery, and it's not easily accessible to reset.
On emmc is installed olimex jessie distribution with their original kernel. I installed only some packages, one usb-rs485 converter and the olimex usb-ethenet key.

I wonder how many people having this lime2 emmc board are esperiencing the same problem.

Quote from: neomanic on September 13, 2016, 05:36:35 AM
We have set the watchdog timer on, so when the board does hang then it reinitialises itself and is back online within 60 seconds. But obviously this is an issue we would like to address. Our next step, assuming that no-one has other suggestions, is to try a legacy kernel.

The lagacy kernel miss support of whatchdog timer.
How do you install watchdog timer ??
Could you provide some info ?
Do you think that a daily reboot colud solve it ?

Thanks

gsbMechatr

Hi cabsandy,

I'm not sure if you have resolved this, yet.

I had an issue where my screen would blank, and the only way i could get it back in was to restart my A20-Lime.

I figured it might have been the screensaver. I added the following to my autoexec script
xset s off         # don't activate screensaver
xset -dpms         # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
xset s noblank     # don't blank the video device

which solved my problem. I did not want the screen to go off at all, though.

I'm really not sure if this is the right direction for you,

see also:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/752/how-do-i-prevent-the-screen-from-going-blank

I hope this helps.

Greg.