mod pulse and mod-usb-rs232

Started by emilruv, August 17, 2016, 06:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilruv

Hello
I'm trying to connect between the mod-usb-232 bd. and the mod pulse bd/ so it will also provise the power supply to tha mod pulse.
Do I have to change any configuration of the default jumpers on any of boards for that?
Does the red led on mod-usb bd. should be blinking all the time when it connected to PC?
Thanks in advance !

LubOlimex

Hey,

You need to change at least two PTH jumpers in order to:

1) have RX of one board connected to TX of the other (and vice versa); note that the RX line of one of the boards should be connected to the TX line of the other. By default these lines would meet so you have to change the position of the jumpers at the bottom of MOD-USB-RS232. The two jumpers are small pads named 3_RX/3_TX and 4_TX/4_RX at the back of board which by default are soldered in 3_RX and 4_TX positions. To change them you need to cut between the pads of 3_RX and 4_TX with a sharp tool and then solder the opposite pads – positions 3_TX and 4_RX. Keep the jumpers of MOD-PULSE without change.

2) enable powering of the target by MOD-USB-RS232 - by default MOD-USB-RS232 doesn't provide power to the board. If you want to power the board via the USB and  the MOD-USB-RS232 then you should close UEXT_PWR_E. The UEXT_PWR_E that has to be closed to enable powering via the USB is located nearer the board's edge.

When the jumpers are properly established, remember to install the drivers for MOD-USB-RS232 and then please use the official software provided by TI:  http://www.ti.com/lit/zip/slaa458

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

emilruv

Thank you!
Can I use this mod usb board to also programming the msp430 with IAR software?
Emil

LubOlimex

Unfortunately - no. In the general case you can't program MSP430 boards via the USB. In rare cases if there is software bootloader available this might be an option (or programming via serial connection), but such a bootloader is not loaded by default in the chip. Such a software has to be written and loaded by the board manufacturer of the board.

In the case of MOD-PULSE there is no such bootloader and the general-programming practices for MSP430 apply - you need a JTAG programmer/emulator tool. Note that the JTAG is not the only requirement to be able to upload our original project to MOD-PULSE, you would also need a properly set IAR Embedded Workbench for MSP430 in order to compile the project successfully.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

emilruv

Is there any manual about how to set the IAR to compile the attached file (Pulsoximeter_revII.c)?
And also what model of LCD is on that board?
Thanks

LubOlimex

In the case with MSP430 projects you can use the latest IAR for MSP430 version. Go the IAR's web-site and download IAR EW for MSP430. Install it and register a kickstarter version (the size of the end binary is limited) of the software.

It uses this custom display made only for our company: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Components/LCD/LCD449STK/

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

emilruv

Thank you! I did like you advised with the 3rx and 4rx jumpers and everything works perfectly!
Do you maybe have the part of software in C for IAR that can help me to define the LCD digits 1 to 7 so I can also print letters on the screen? something simple like "MENU" or "TIME" or "SPO2"
Thanks

LubOlimex

There is no such code in the default example (as far as I checked it there were only numbers defined), however there is code for letters in the product page of another Olimex board that uses the same display. It might be a good reference about your project. Check here:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/Starter/MSP430-449STK2/

Refer to the *.c and *.h files in this project: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/Starter/MSP430-449STK2/resources/LCD-Code-2.0-IAR-Compatible.zip

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX