April 16, 2024, 11:20:25 AM

PIC32-EMZ144

Started by KeesZagers, July 21, 2016, 10:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeesZagers

This product is now on the list for about half a year, without any specifications and no availability. For a new project I'm looking for a module with a PIC32MZ controller with CAN and I/O pins on any external connector (missing on the PIC32-EMZ64). Could this be the product I'm looking for and if so when will it become available?

JohnS

I think all PIC32MZ boards are held back (very slow uptake) due to Microchip using Harmony and failing to provide plib or the like.

(A user is doing plib I understand, not sure how far along it is or if it's available to others.)

Harmony is not even as pleasant as Windows ME...

John

KeesZagers

Thanks John for answering.

I know your frustration about Harmony, but comparing it with Windows ME ... (please help me, I forgot what it was, Millemenium Edition, I think)

Concerning software support, I saw that chipKIT is supporting the PIC32MZ for their MPIDE. Olimex already did some demo projects on the PIC32EMZ64, also supporting Ethernet, USB, OLED. So I think it should not be too hard to fix some drivers for the specific hardware and people can write their programs in MPIDE, no harmony needed.

Anyway as long as no hardware is existing, system software from others will not come!

Kees

JohnS

I see the Olimex ones use Harmony and even to download them you have to agree to its licence terms :(

No, thanks.  Never will.  Don't like it, don't want it, horrid software.

Reminds me of Intel's insistence that the way forward was the Itanium.  No.

John

KeesZagers

Hello John,

I really appreciate your inputs and comments on Harmony, however I have an other intention by asking for the PIC32-EMZ144.

I have some years of experience with the Duinomites (and PIC32-T795 module) in CAN projects. The PIC32MZ controllers are a nice upgrade for the PIC32MX795 controllers from a hardware view. Furtheron the built-in CAN controllers seem to be 100% compatible and that is why I chose the hardware anyway. At the moment I'm working on a project where I probably need a higher performance on speed and analogue accuracy. This is what the PIC32MZ is offering.

I have a PIC32-EMZ64 (since the Embedded World show in february), but I cannot use it for this project, because I don't have the external I/O on this module. The PIC32-HMZ has the I/O, but has no CAN interfaces. So that is why I would like to know if the planned PIC32-EMZ144 would fulfil my needs.

So Olimex guys: Can you update me with some status info; after that you are allowed to go on vacation !!!

Kees

JohnS

I understand and such a board would be good, but without plib many people could not (or would not) be able to use the board - so demand is likely to be low.

I wonder if someone on TBS 9the back shed) would lay out and make the board.  Multiple quite cheap ones have been done for PIC32MX.  It may be worth asking on there.

John

KeesZagers

Hi John,

Already looked on TBS and saw that Geoff Graham did not want to upgrade the Maximite to the MZ version, because of the incompatibility not having the PLIB and Harmony in stead. In the mean time I also have my first bad experiences with Harmony by just try adding the CAN driver to the existing software, no application yet. A lot of errors during compilation, did not check what went wrong up to now.

I think we should leave this item for what it is at the moment.

Kees

JohnS

Recently someone (kiiid) did a crowd fund project and says they're making (I guess just enough) plib for mmbasic

John

Ken Macfarlane

I have just received an HMZ144 & have spent a day trying to get it going with an ICD3, having just done the same with a Microchip EF Starter Kit (with onboard debugger). It would be great if you could offer a DIL6 to RJ11 converter to allow the ICD3 to plug straight in, or stick an RJ11 footprint on the board. We are going to be testing CAN next, so footprints for SMT CAN transceivers on a piggyback I/O card would save us from having to roll our own.

And a Plib for the MZ would make my day : I followed Microchip's Harmony Blinky app note, & got a LED to flash, but OMG, what a lot of additional baggage Harmony generates. If it hadn't have just worked. I wouldn't have known where to start!

JohnS

There are at least 2 PLIBs made by users but neither seems open source sadly.

John