A20-OLinuXino-LIME2 Rev. E and BOX-LIME

Started by sovking, June 04, 2016, 03:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sovking

I've bougth a A20-OLinuXino-LIME2-eMMC, and it works as espected plugged at Vdc 5V offered by SY0605E.
Then I prepared the box lime inserting the nut and its screw, then I mount the board into the BOX-LIME inserting the second screw.

Then I plug again the PSU, and now even if the red light is on, the board does not power up.
Touching the power button with a stick does not solve the problem. By the way, why the button holes are designed so tiny, it's really hard pressing them with the right stick.

Probably something of the board touch the case and it goes on fault. If I remove the board from the case, it started again without any problem.

Anyone has some suggestion about how to solve this problem ?

Thanks!

Gerrit

Using nylon screws and washers between the metal and the circuit board could prevent touching the coper from the circuit board.

sovking

It seems strange that the provided screws could touch the coper from the circuit board. Hovewer I will try it.

Nevertheless, the 3 buttons are very difficult to press even using a small pen or a needle.
Moreover, while power button can be pressed in someway, Reset and recovery button seems to be already pressed or not working when the case is closed. I suspect that when the case is closed, the tightened screws press the buttons against the case. That could be a problem, because in that case the reset signal is continuously applied and the board cannot come up.

I would like to have some more information and official support from Olimex too.

nabbal

Hello,

I have the same problem with a new Lime2 Rev C. It works as expected out of the box, as soon as I put the board into the box, it does not start.

I used the provided screws.

hiol

Interesting.

I'm going to make a custom box (cardboard ;) ) in the next days so nice to have in mind. :)

nabbal

Quote from: sovking on June 04, 2016, 08:08:31 PM
Moreover, while power button can be pressed in someway, Reset and recovery button seems to be already pressed or not working when the case is closed. I suspect that when the case is closed, the tightened screws press the buttons against the case. That could be a problem, because in that case the reset signal is continuously applied and the board cannot come up.
After some tests, I confirm that the problem comes from the buttons being pressed when the box is closed.
Quote from: sovking on June 04, 2016, 08:08:31 PM
I would like to have some more information and official support from Olimex too.
Me too :)

LubOlimex

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback! We never tested the assembly without the spacer and I guess a lot of customers skip the spacer.

You need to use the spacer between the board and the bottom, else the buttons would remain pressed (and this is the best outcome, since if the bottom of the board touches the bottom of the metallic case there would be spectacular short-circuit).

Follow what is written at the bottom of the BOX pages:

"
Remove the screw that holds the two parts of the box together. Separate the two parts. Use the metallic spacer and the two screws in the mounting hole near GPIO-4 to keep the board in place (and separated from the bottom)! Else there might be short-circuits or the buttons might be permanently pressed. The metallic spacer should be positioned between the board and the case. The whole setup should be: screw <- board - metallic spacer - case -> screw. Finally, close the case and place the rubber feet at the bottom.

Never power the LIME board before you have fully assembled the box!
"

We are thinking of ways to improve the designs according to the customer feedback, but as of now the boxes work-as-intended as long as you follow the suggested assembly.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

nabbal

Thank you for the feedback.

But I confirm that from the beginning I did as explained (screw/bottom/spacer/board/screw) and on the two cases I have, when the board is mounted inside, it does not boot.

I think there is a too small tolerance on the positioning of the board. I will try to take some photos later.

sovking

During my test I used the provided spacer: the problem is that the holes for buttons are smaller than the buttons (I would say almost inexistent), so the buttons cannot come out of the board and they remain pressed.

I repeat: I followed exactly your istructions, also tried to use the other hole.

Of course I could modify the box (make holes bigger), but I paied the box to fit the board working.