Serial console setup guide?

Started by bsrdjan, October 24, 2012, 01:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsrdjan

Hello,

I would appreciate some guidance how to setup the serial console on iMX233 Maxi. Here is my setup.

The iMX233 image is Archlinux and the it is connected via USB Serial F cable with Ubuntu notebook

UEXT    USB cable
2          Blue (GND)
3          Red (TXD)
4          Green (RXD)

I start the minicom on Ubuntu, with 115200, N81 settings, boot the iMX233 and see no boot messages or any other output on the screen.

Could you please let me know if my setup is correct or anything missing?

Thanks and regards,
srdjan

olimex

you mixed Rx/Tx and should connect them: 2 - Blue, 4 - Red, 3 - Green

LubOlimex

This is further detailed in the manual on page 34:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/iMX233/iMX233-OLinuXino-MAXI/resources/iMX233-OLINUXINO-MAXI_revision_I.pdf

QuoteBLUE wire to pin.3 (GND)
GREEN wire to pin.2 (TX)
RED wire to pin.1 (RX)

The pin numbers are according to the schematic and the UART_DEBUG connector table.

Regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

jlumme

LubOlimex, while on the topic; can you explain why the manual states:
Quote from: manual page 34"In order to avoid SD card malfunction, when using the USB-SERIAL-CABLE-F with OLinuXino-MAXI it is advisable to first insert the iMX233-OLinuXino-SD card and then power the board (if using battery also press the PWR button). Wait 4-5 seconds and then connect the USB-SERIAL-CABLE-F."

I was checking the schematics, and to me it seems that those U_DEBUG pins are only connected to imx processor, and no where else.. Why would it cause SD card malfunctions ?