Lime design supports DRAM Memory upgrade from 512MB to 1GB

Started by steveh, February 09, 2016, 08:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

I noticed in the lime schematic A15 was present on the DRAM (Pin M7). It seems if I whip out the pre-heater and hot air gun, and replace the K4B4G1646D (MEM4G16D3EABG) with a H5TC8G63AMR (also sold by Olimex) - that I could increase my DRAM from 512MB to 1GB.

Has anyone tried this? Or would I be the first?

cheers,
Steve

soenke

whooaaah, you REALLY have to know what you are doing to start this and not damage any other component on this dense packed board...

BMK

steveh

Yes, True. Very true. This sort of thing can go bad very quickly if you get it wrong.

Quote from: soenke on February 09, 2016, 10:03:12 AM
whooaaah, you REALLY have to know what you are doing to start this and not damage any other component on this dense packed board...

steveh

I could, as it does have 1G, however I am interested in a single chip solution. Lime2 has 2 drams - so, no good.

Quote from: BMK on February 11, 2016, 02:56:18 PM
You could just buy LIME2 instead?

steveh

I made the change and it went well. I have been running memtest and all works great. The board has been running a movie for a day or so to confirm system stability - basically, it seems to love the 1G DRAM.

However, the OS only recognizes 512MB - so address A15 is not enabled yet.

I take it I will need to update the fex and uboot? Is there an easy way to write outside of the declared memory boundary? Or do I need to update uboot/fex? Any suggested easy solutions here would be appreciated, as I haven't got a setup to recompile this just at the moment.

http://users.tpg.com.au/srkh/20160212_102252.jpg

Gerrit

you could try a lime2 image to see if you get the 1G, and replace the fex with the one you are using now

steveh

I agree. I just tried that. I found that uboot reports DRAM as 0MiB ??.

After digging a little deeper, it appears that uboot configures the memory controller for two CS, and no A15. I need one CS and A15. So, nope - no dice with the LIME2 image.

Quote from: Gerrit on February 12, 2016, 02:58:41 AM
you could try a lime2 image to see if you get the 1G, and replace the fex with the one you are using now

JohnS

Details about such settings are on linux-sunxi and/or in the code.

If you're going to do such things as changing chips it's also going to be fun changing the code :)

I expect Olimex would produce the boards for you if you want a lot of them.

John

steveh

Changing chips is easy. Code.. well.. that's a little harder.

Quote from: JohnS on February 12, 2016, 10:00:38 AM
Details about such settings are on linux-sunxi and/or in the code.

If you're going to do such things as changing chips it's also going to be fun changing the code :)

I expect Olimex would produce the boards for you if you want a lot of them.

John