Newbie question - AVR-CAN development board & hex file.

Started by highcountryrider, February 03, 2016, 05:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highcountryrider

I have the AVR-CAN development board and a hex file containing updated firmware for same. I've been unable to contact the developer, so it looks like I'm stuck loading the new firmware myself.

I have a Mac running El Capitan, and a Wintel box running Windows XP or 98. What would be the simplest/cheapest solution to get the .hex file transferred to the board?

Thanks.

Bill

LubOlimex

Hey,

I've moved your thread to the AVR sub-forum. This is the ARM sub-forum.

That would depend if the code protection bit is set or not. If the code is protected reading the contents would be borderline impossible. If the code is not protected from reading then the cheapest way to read the binary inside AVR-CAN would be using this JTAG tool: https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Programmers/AVR-JTAG-USB-A/

Then you use AVR Studio 4.19 (which is available for free) and read the contents (not only the hexes of the flash and the eeprom but also the fuses and the lock bits). In the end you would have an elf file that contains all data of the chip - flash memory, eeprom memory, fuses configuration and lock bits configuration.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

highcountryrider

Thanks. It will take me a while to get this done. I'll let you know if it works.