5in capacitive TS

Started by samysam, November 25, 2015, 07:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samysam

Hello all,

I need help to choose a capacitive touchscreen beetwen 4.3 and 5 inches (5 inch prefered) for a buildroot-based linux project.

Disclaimer 1: I'm a noob in electronic: I know how to use resistors, shift registers, leds, but that's all...
Disclaimer 2: This thread is not relative to A20 but all olinuxino products since I havn't yet made ​​my choice.

So I have some questions:

1 - I have found recommendations in this forum for this screen : http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd50800480tfatxlctp-p-6062.html
  But it seem's I need to create my own interface PCB for it (cf https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3821)
  Does someone has a PCB schema for this ? Or another screen I can use more easily ?

2 - I've seen I2C and SPI screens. Does it have a significant impact on screen refresh rate for 800x480 screens ? For finger input latencies ?

3 - Is there a screen-relative isssue I must take care before choosing beetwen A10, A13 and A20 products ? Connectors are the same for the screen ?

4 - My priorities are, in order:
      * size and resolution
      * stability (I used a bugged screen on a cheep smartphone, it was infuriating)
      * ease to install (I don't want to spend a week to write a driver)
      * brigthness
      * angle of view
      * price
  Since power supply, strength and temperature are not really an issue (It wil be incoporated in a static box), do you think I missed an important characteristic ?

Thanks,
Sam

dave-at-axon

Are you still working on this?

You will need a PCB for this but as the LCD is 3.3V only, the design is dead easy. I have used the 7" LCD with the A20 and it works great. You could make these yourself but the LCD connector is 0.5mm pitch so you need to be able to solder fine pitch SMD.

If you are still wanting to do this, drop me a PM with your email and I can send you a schematic for the 7" one which will also work for the 5" one as they have the same interface. Remember that you need to set the timing for this in your core depending on which OS you are using.

The 5" is high brightness and very nice.