Driver not accepted by windows

Started by MathieuMH, September 24, 2015, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MathieuMH

Hi all,

Today I received my Olimex AVR-ISP-mkII. It looked very promising until i connected it to my computer. I'm a avrdude user, so I had to change the firmware. Following the instructions in the manual successfully put me through it. Once I try to install the driver it goes wrong. Windows gives me a code 52 which stands for an unsigned driver which windows cannot trust.
I googled a bit, an there I found other driver that should work for this device under windows 7 x64. However, this was not the case. Avrdude refuses to work.

Can someone point out what the correct process is to install the drivers?

Thanks a lot!

MathieuMH

In meanwhile I read about the know issue:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/lufa-based-avrisp-mkii-doesnt-work-avrdude-601

I have to honest and I think I encountered this while switching between driver. I don't remember with wich driver. Is there a solution for this issue?
First things first, I need the correct drivers that work in windows 7 x64

LubOlimex

Hey,

This is because the drivers are not signed! You need to allow the installation of unsigned drivers. This is done in the boot menu before Windows even starts! You need to "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement".

Here watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RwaI4mn6Y

Also make sure you have properly switched the firmware of the programmer with the one suitable for AVRDude. Then make sure all left over Atmel and Jungo drivers had been deleted. Refer to the user's manual for more installation instructions.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

MathieuMH

Hi LubOlimex,

Thank you for the suggestion. I managed to install the drivers I downloaded from the Olimex website.
However, programming a device is still not working. Now I get these famous messages:

C:\>avrdude -c avrispmkii -P usb -p x128a4u
avrdude: stk500v2_recv_mk2: error in USB receive
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I'm not quite oke with your previous solution. I want to use the Olimex programmer to program bootloaders in my design in the factory. I cannot aspect that a test user has to go through all this to get his setup to work. Wouldn't it be best for anyone if there was a singed driver to avoid this mess?

JohnS

I think this is a widely-reported bug in recent avrdude -- see the many posts on the net.  There were so many I stopped reading but have a look and there's probably a fix, or go back to an older avrdude.

Maybe this helps https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3208.0

John

MathieuMH

Well no can do. When I use an older version my device is not supported (ATXMEGA128A4U) only the ATXMEGA128A4 is supported, those are not compatible.
I tried using a new .conf file. But then I get a syntax error.

Any idea's?

JohnS

I suggest figure out the .conf or patch avrdude to work.

John

MathieuMH

I'm not that experienced. I managed to rebuilt avrdude6-1 with the suggested lib-usb files. But it does not resolve my issue. I'm still getting the same errrors. So I would rather use the .path. But I don't know how to use it.

JohnS

Perhaps you can find a forum/ML for avrdude and/or associated tools you need?  Maybe the author's email address even?  Somewhere appropriate to submit a bug report / feature request?

Someone here may know but a few web searches / reading the code might let you help yourself.

John