Learn from scratch

Started by jaiminajmeri, July 24, 2015, 07:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaiminajmeri

Hi Olimex users,

I would like to learn from scratch, i.e., board that is freshly built. Need to know how to start with a fresh board. All the steps involved in first boot till booting an os (Android to be specific).

I was planning to purchase A20-OLinuXino-LIME-4GB board. This board already has android in its nand memory. I need to learn this.

I need to build android device, please suggest me the right board (I prefer A20-OLinuXino-LIME-4GB) that I can learn from scratch. I am a beginner. So please suggest me the steps/tutorial from scratch.

Thanks,
Jaimin

Insomniac10102

Hello Jaiminajmeri (how about jaimy for short?),

The only thing from Olimex I've seen on building Android from sources is here. Even if you plan to learn how to build the board from scratch, I don't see why you wouldn't want to have an android image built on. You don't have to use it.

Nevertheless, if you're really interested in forcing yourself to build from the ground up, you might consider purchasing one of the boards that doesn't have NAND flash installed on it. These boards require you to install your OS on a microSD card. For Linux Debian, Olimex provides instructions on building / installing it from sources. For Android however, Olimex only provides instructions for installing prebuilt Android images.

If you need more control over building your Android image, you can try to follow resources from Linux Sunxi, such as this, but be very cautious following this as it's for a different device (cubieboard) on an A10, not A20.

Hope that helps

dave-at-axon

Want to play Android and build your own custom version?

I created a blog on my build. I have the source available via a link too. This is how to build Android. You will need a Linux machine (ideally Ubuntu) but this can also be a virtual machine running on a Windows machine. You need a decent powered machine or you just have to wait hours for the build :)

https://axonjakarta.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/olimex-a20-android-building-4/

You'll need to make some changes but I do try to list what those are on the blog as my system was built for a certain LCD display but the code is there for the Olimex ones too. The FEX for this is out on the web if you can't find what you need.

jaiminajmeri

dave-at-axon & Insomniac10102, Thanks for u reply...

I am looking into the links u guys provided. I have a doubt, that is, I want to have my own version of hardware and I need to use sunxi android sources to run android on it. So my doubt is,

Would initially use olimex linuxino - a20 without nand.

What actually is porting, who does porting for Olimex Linuxino boards ?
Does sunxi port android and provide android support for allwinner processors ?

As a embedded system developer I need to design H/W based on Olimex's Linuxino board, use customised or for now stock android os.

JohnS

They're linux-sunxi, the clue is in the name.  Spend time on their site.

If you want Android you get to port it if you use non-standard / different hardware.  Have fun.

John