A10 Supply Chain

Started by didelatorre, May 27, 2015, 05:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

didelatorre

I'm planning on perhaps building a product around the a10 chip and I'm wondering how long will this chip be in production.  One interesting thing is that I could not find this chip for sale in newark, mouser, or digikey but I was able to find the chip here at olimex for a reasonable price.  So I'm wondering how long will olimex supply this chip and how long will Allwinner manufacture this chip.  I come from a business where a product can last up to 10 to 15 years in the market so being able to have a good supply chain is vital for my business.  I know that A10's are primarily targeted for low end tablets so I don't know if Allwinner will drop this chip and move towards the next best thing for the tablet market.

Lurch

Allwinner has long moved on to other chips. There are several articles here from Olimex about availability - although mostly about A20 chips. Turns out, Allwinner will supply them, even some old ones, if you order 50,000 at a time. So obviously the distributors are not going to stock up on chips that are no longer actively used.
Contact Olimex directly and make a deal with them for long term supply - or bite the bullet and buy a bunch.
And read this:
  https://olimex.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/how-50-000-a10-socs-from-allwinner-looks-like/