Is this forum alive

Started by BMK, May 07, 2015, 09:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMK

Hello,
Non technical question.

Why is this forum so quiet?

I've been using the A20 products for a while now and have a coupe of dozen of them installed in customer projects, mostly being used for SCADA, but also for Automated Test Equipment. I'm a daily reader of A20 forum which is always active, something is learned every day by reading it.

Long term I plan to switch my products to the AM33x platform because of longer life cycle but also attractive features like PRU with ready to go automation fieldbus stacks etc. Really want to stick to olimex for boards.

AM335 is totally new to me and I would love to do my learning here but forum seems relatively dead compared to other olimex products. Where are the rest of you guys getting your forum / community kicks?? 

JohnS

I read this forum but have no current plan to buy any boards.  I'm using A20, A13, RPi 2.  I can't see any compelling reasons to get an AMxxxx board but maybe that will change.

Maybe others are the same?

(Er, does the Olimex board even have a PRU?)

John

BMK

Bought one SOM+EVB to play with.
There's no PRU in 3352 but its still useful to test the platform.
Honestly I love the A20 boards and even the pi but I recently had a negative reaction from a snobbish customer

in some peoples heads:
rpi == that toy computer prolonging virginity worldwide since 2012
AW == cheap plastic tablet off ebay
TI == Bits off the Mars rover.

JohnS

I can see the rpi attitude and maybe the AW one but that thinking about TI is bizarre.  They have maybe 0% market share with AMxxxx?

There again, customers spend their money any way they like!

John

jlucius

Quote from: JohnS on May 08, 2015, 01:28:38 AM
I can see the rpi attitude and maybe the AW one but that thinking about TI is bizarre.  They have maybe 0% market share with AMxxxx?

There again, customers spend their money any way they like!

John

Well for long termim support and mainline integration the TI is better than Allwinner. The whole Beaglebone/board is built around TI chips and the AM3xxx is even used in an cloud harddrive from a large vendor so I think they are not doing bad on this (just no tablet market).

JohnS

See what it was like... 5 years from now... and whether it mattered!

John

bruceuk

I enjoy my A20-SOM but it's too big for my project so I switched to A13....great little board, but it lacks uarts....so finally switched to AM3352-SOM...but wondering if 800Mhz will be too slow. One day I'll finish something :)

RIP Raspberry pie:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433

Olimex lacking small boards for M2M industry (bluetooth, wifi & GSM) Suspect the Amlogic S805 could be crammed onto a very small board ....although not checked how many uart, i2c and canbus it supports.