make boot card with ubuntu 12.04

Started by slacker66, April 17, 2015, 02:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker66

Hello
I buy 8gb class 10x sdcard and i make 17M + 7,8 gb partition
7,8gb partition should be in ext4 fs ?

I look at this page https://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/7795/ but in not understant why recopmile the kernel
It is not clear.

Other

I download this : A20_OLinuxino_Micro_debian_34_90_release_10.7z and what can i do when it is decompressed ?

Thank in advance.

rouvas

When you decompress it, use the "dd" command to write it a microSD card and boot with it.
Example:

dd if=A20.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

MBR

On a PC, the target device will be probably not /dev/mmcblk0 but something like /dev/sdb, because the USB card readers work as a USB mass storage, mot as a MTD device. Look at the dmesg output (or into the /proc/partitions) to determine what device the SD card is. And beware, the command dd has no safeguard and will gleefully overwrite your HDD if you make a mistake.

And after you wrote the unpacked image onto the SD card, you can enlarge the last partition tom make use of whole SD card. I recommend the gparted - although the enlargement can be done by command line tools, but you can make an error very easily.

slacker66

Thank you very much.

My sdcard are detected to /dev/sda1 (17m) and /dev/sda2 (~8go)

Why in tutorial it need fat 32 system ?

The Commande "dd" make all and configure boot system ?

Regards

rouvas

The "dd" command will write the image you have downloaded to the SD card.
In your case the SD card is the /dev/sda device.
The image is bootable and will repartition the SD card.
If you have any data in the SD card they will be lost.
IIRC, it will create 3 partitions.
1st one is FAT for the bootloader, 2nd one is ext3 for the main system and the 3rd is un-formatted and free.

slacker66

I remake my micro sd card (8gb) with command dd if=A20.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M.
I make it 8 time.

I connect serial rs232 cable with my pc and launch putty, but linux on A20 not find inittab.
Normaly innitab/fstab are in ./etc directory, but when i look at th micro sd card (4gb system) directory ./boot and ./etc are empty

The fs system into micro sd card (4gb system) contain error

What can i do ?

rouvas

In my earlier post, the filename "A20.img" was just a placeholder for the actual filename that would result after decompressing the A20 image you downloaded.

Have you tried using the dd command replacing the "A20.img" with the actual filename of the decompressed image?

slacker66

Hi, thank for tour reply.
Of course i rename "A20_OLinuxino_Micro_debian_34_90_release_10.img" >>> to >>> "A20.img"
The problem seem to be  A20.img are for 4gb system and i have 8gb of space.
Whem command "dd if=A20.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M" are applied, dd create 2 fs vfat and ext3 and 4gb are free and it does not matter

But when i examine ext3_fs with ubuntu_analyseur de disque (for example ) it find some errors for this ext3 fs

Now i search debian source to copy directory/file directly in oluxino A20 sdcard. This method run well with pc system

rouvas

OK, I was just making sure that there was no misunderstanding on the "A20.img".

I've dd the official A20 image to more than 100 SD cards with no problems so far (other than the occasional failure of the dd process/usb-writer itself, I just repeat the process in these cases)

Could you share what kind of errors you encountered with the ext3 partition?

slacker66

Thank Rouvas.
New i download another img.7z (name is very long). My card are sandisk ultra 8gb, and i use a usb to sdhc adapter Transcend.

I make a new essay and tell you.

slacker66

System A20 run well, but i don't know why.
I change the sdcard to usb adapter, an i decompress a new 4gb archive
i restart dd command
I run well like slackware distro

markov85

Do you have graphical acceleration???

Can you use U-boot to boot from NAND???

BR,
Georgi