Low speed wvdial 4g

Started by elamre, April 09, 2015, 12:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elamre

Hello,
Another question. So far i got Wvdial to work and my usb modem from Ublox works. Which is great.
However my speed is very low

Hosted by Vodafone NL (Utrecht) [20.89 km]: 110.409 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 5.08 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 1.08 Mbit/s

Is this a restriction from wvdial? Is this a restriction from the usb speed?
On my windows pc speed is much quicker. Can somebody tell me whether they have a higher speed?
Or give me some pointers on how to investigate this a little more?
Thanks in advance!

MBR

wvdial is just a smart frontend to pppd and the USB speed is at least 12Mbit/s for USB 1.1, so there is no restriction. The difference between Windows and wvdial may be caused by the better configuration of the modem in the Windows with various AT commands, so try to look into the logs and copy the various AT+C... init string into the wvdial configuration, or consult mthe manual for your modem, especially the parts about service type prefference.

elamre

Thank you kindly for your response. As for windows, I'm not using pppd. But i will look into the terminal and configuration more there. Thats a good idea.

For the speed, why are you listing USB 1.1? Does pppd not work with anything higher? I have the olimex maxi so that should support up to 480 Mbit/s right?

MBR

Quote from: elamre on April 11, 2015, 03:12:52 PM
Thank you kindly for your response. As for windows, I'm not using pppd. But i will look into the terminal and configuration more there. Thats a good idea.

Yes, Windows does not have pppd but some service called Dial-up service or such, which does approximately the same function. You can turn on log output somewhere, where all AT commands are logged to a text file.

Quote from: elamre on April 11, 2015, 03:12:52 PM
For the speed, why are you listing USB 1.1? Does pppd not work with anything higher? I have the olimex maxi so that should support up to 480 Mbit/s right?

Of course that USB 2.0 supports up to 480 MBit/s, I only wanted to show that the bottleneck is not in the USB. For the pppd itself is the hardware just an abstraction, so it does not distinguish between the "real" serial ports and USB-emulated ones.