Olimex A20 Micro eth0 setup problems

Started by OLIMEXER, December 30, 2014, 11:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLIMEXER

Hello,

i have a big problem with the newest release of debian image (release10).
When I setting the eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces up I can ping to my fritzbox but i can not go in the internet. What can be the problem?
Thanks in ahead.

Best regardes Michael

Gerrit

Most likely you did not configure it right, but if you don't post anymore information don't expect a solution from here, show at least the content from /etc/network/interfaces

philmacu

The default OLIMEX user account does NOT allow internet access, you need to make sure this is enabled. One easy way is to do this via the GUI. Either VNC onto your device or connect a HDMI monitor. Click on the LXDE icon (bottom left) setect Preferences->Users and Groups. Then select the Olimex account, advanced (you will be prompted for your password, which is Olimex - unless you changed it).
Then select the User Privileges tab and make sure 'connect to the internet using a modem' is enabled.

Hopefully this will solve your problem

ragupo

QuoteThe default OLIMEX user account does NOT allow internet access, you need to make sure this is enabled. One easy way is to do this via the GUI. Either VNC onto your device or connect a HDMI monitor. Click on the LXDE icon (bottom left) setect Preferences->Users and Groups. Then select the Olimex account, advanced (you will be prompted for your password, which is Olimex - unless you changed it).
Then select the User Privileges tab and make sure 'connect to the internet using a modem' is enabled.

That's not my experience. I just plugged the wifi dongle into it and selected my network. I didn't fiddle with user or group permissions to make it work.

MBR

If you can ping your router, but you cannot access the Internet, there is probably either a mising/misconfigured gateway or some problems with the DNS. To tell these errors appart, try pinging some internet site with IP address only, for example one of the Google public nameservers with address 8.8.8.8. So if the command

ping 8.8.8.8

works, but the

ping www.google.com

doesn't, you have a working gateway, but problem with DNS resolver. When both of them fail, the problem is (probably) the gateway setting. To see if the gateway/DNS is really the culprit, try to set them manually (see https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=1856.msg16617#msg16617]).

But you should post here your /etc/network/interfaces (and maybe even your /etc/resolv.conf) anyway.

traal

I have the same problem on Lime2. The first release worked fine.

Gerrit

Quote from: traal on March 09, 2015, 06:00:41 AM
I have the same problem on Lime2. The first release worked fine.

You need the image for lime2 the one for lime does not work on the lime2

https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-LIME2#Linux