HDMI Output has stopped functioning

Started by Verho, October 30, 2014, 10:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verho

Hi everybody,

For the past few month I have been using my A20 board as a living room internet point. For this I connected a small 15" lcd flatscreen and using VGA my TV through HDMI. All worked very nicely until last week when I noticed that my HDMI output did not function. I have tried all the trick I could think of: editing the script.bin, xorg.conf, flash a fresh debian image, and try though an android image.

It seems like the issue is really hardware related :(. My question is whether one of you guys might how to fix this? All the other components are still recognized but there is just no signal through the HDMI port.

Cheers,

Maarten

philmacu

Hope you got it sorted, it could be your TV caused the problem, most TV's don't have a proper earths, the screen floats to half way between neutral and live (due to capacitive coupling). Which is usually about 110V. Anyway it's not usually a problem if you have an external aerial connected - this will (most times clamp the screen to earth - there by earthing your TV chassis).

But... on TV's that aren't connected to aerials (Sat dishes don't count as they don't earth the screen) the floating occurs. Now you will get away it because your Olimex board supply will probably float up - the problem is if you connect another device that has a proper earth, this will cause the TV to be claped to earth via the HDMI connector, which can (probably will damage your board).
:-\