Trouble building PIC-MAXI-WEB

Started by toozie21, November 28, 2014, 06:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toozie21

OK, picked up a few PIC-MAXI-WEB boards, and am trying to make sure I can do anything I want with them (toolchain setup, change the webpage, etc.).

I downloaded MPLAB IDE 9.92, and the latest C18 compiler.  I then unpacked the PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42 project and opened the PIC-MAXI-WEB demo.mcp in the Demo App folder. 

I go to build it and I get a:
Release build of project `C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\TCPIP\Demo App\PIC-MAXI-WEB demo.mcp' started.
Language tool versions: mpasmwin.exe v5.54, mplink.exe v5.00, mcc18.exe v3.47, mplib.exe v5.00
Fri Nov 28 11:26:04 2014
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Clean: Deleting intermediary and output files.
Clean: Done.
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\mplabc18\v3.47\bin\mcc18.exe" -p=18F452 /i"." -I"..\Microchip\Include" -I"..\..\Microchip\Include" "..\..\Microchip\TCPIP Stack\Announce.c" -fo="Objects\Announce.o" -k -sco -DOLIMEX -DOLIMEX_PIC_MAXI_WEB -mL -Ou- -Ot- -Ob- -Op- -Or- -Od- -Opa-
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\Microchip\Include\TCPIP Stack\MAC.h:91:Error [1099] No Ethernet/WiFi controller defined in HardwareProfile.h.  Defines for an ENC28J60, ENC424J600/624J600, or WiFi MRF24WB10 must be present.
MPLAB C18 3.47 (evaluation)
Copyright 2000-2011 Microchip Technology Inc.
Days remaining until evaluation becomes feature limited:  60

WARNING:  Running the compiler in extended mode will not be supported when the evaluation becomes feature limited.

Halting build on first failure as requested.
Release build of project `C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\TCPIP\Demo App\PIC-MAXI-WEB demo.mcp' failed.
Language tool versions: mpasmwin.exe v5.54, mplink.exe v5.00, mcc18.exe v3.47, mplib.exe v5.00
Fri Nov 28 11:26:04 2014
BUILD FAILED

Any idea what I am doing wrong?  I have NOT done the patching of the TCP/IP, but I am not sure what that entails as I couldn't find any directions (I was thinking that it was getting patched in during the build process....)

toozie21

OK, the older version (5.31) seems to build out of the box, not sure why I can't get the newer one to work (5.42)....

Stanimir5F

I guess you mean MPLAB 8.92 because I don't know about newer than 8.93 apart from MPLABX.
And I saw in the log that you are using MCC18 v3.47. It is suggested to use the recommended in the ReadMe.txt version of the compiler. In this case it is 3.40. That was the latest version when I made the demo. Unfortunately many of the MCC compilers versions aren't compatible each other. I guess this is what causes the problem.
May the Source be with You!

toozie21

Quote from: Stanimir5F on December 01, 2014, 04:50:32 PM
I guess you mean MPLAB 8.92 because I don't know about newer than 8.93 apart from MPLABX.
And I saw in the log that you are using MCC18 v3.47. It is suggested to use the recommended in the ReadMe.txt version of the compiler. In this case it is 3.40. That was the latest version when I made the demo. Unfortunately many of the MCC compilers versions aren't compatible each other. I guess this is what causes the problem.
c
Hmm, OK, thanks.  I didn't realize how much they changed between compilers.  I do mean 8.92, sorry.

I'll try to uninstall the current C18 and go with the older one and see if that helps any.  I can find the upgrade exe here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/mplabc18_v3.40_windows_upgrade.exe
But I can't seem to find the regular install.  Does anyone know where it can be found?

toozie21

OK, I managed to find the hosted somewhere on microchip's site and installed it. MPLAB now points to the right C18, but I am still getting an error:
Release build of project `C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\Olimex\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\TCPIP\Demo App\PIC-MAXI-WEB demo.mcp' started.
Language tool versions: mpasmwin.exe v5.42, mplink.exe v4.40, mcc18.exe v3.40, mplib.exe v4.40
Mon Dec 01 22:38:47 2014
Make: The target "C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\Olimex\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\TCPIP\Demo App\Objects\Announce.o" is out of date.
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\mplabc18\v3.40\bin\mcc18.exe" -p=18F452 /i"." -I"..\Microchip\Include" -I"..\..\Microchip\Include" "..\..\Microchip\TCPIP Stack\Announce.c" -fo="Objects\Announce.o" -k -sco -DOLIMEX -DOLIMEX_PIC_MAXI_WEB -mL -Ou- -Ot- -Ob- -Op- -Or- -Od- -Opa-
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\Olimex\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\Microchip\Include\TCPIP Stack\MAC.h:91:Error [1099] No Ethernet/WiFi controller defined in HardwareProfile.h.  Defines for an ENC28J60, ENC424J600/624J600, or WiFi MRF24WB10 must be present.
Halting build on first failure as requested.
Release build of project `C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\O2 sensor\Olimex\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\PIC-MAXI-WEB_5_42\TCPIP\Demo App\PIC-MAXI-WEB demo.mcp' failed.
Language tool versions: mpasmwin.exe v5.42, mplink.exe v4.40, mcc18.exe v3.40, mplib.exe v4.40
Mon Dec 01 22:38:59 2014
BUILD FAILED

Stanimir5F

OK. My last advice wasn't very correct but many times people experience troubles because of versions so I thought this may be the problem in your case. But now I tested the project with 3.40 and 3.47 and they both work fine here. So this is not an issue with the compiler's version. But unfortunately I can't replicate your problem.

The only thing that came into my mind is this.
Now I saw in your log:
QuoteExecuting: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\mplabc18\v3.47\bin\mcc18.exe" -p=18F452 /i"." -I"..\Microchip\Include" -I"..\..\Microchip\Include" "..\..\Microchip\TCPIP Stack\Announce.c"
QuoteExecuting: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\mplabc18\v3.40\bin\mcc18.exe" -p=18F452 /i"." -I"..\Microchip\Include" -I"..\..\Microchip\Include" "..\..\Microchip\TCPIP Stack\Announce.c"

In mine I see this:
QuoteExecuting: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\Microchip Compiler\3.40\bin\mcc18.exe" -p=18F97J60 /i"." -I"..\Microchip\Include" -I"..\..\Microchip\Include" "..\..\Microchip\TCPIP Stack\Announce.c"

I have no idea how this happened but it seems you are trying to compile the project with different microcontroller selected. And this is reflected on the macro definitions (search about the macro _18F97J60 inside the project).

So make sure you are compiling the project with PIC18F97J60 selected.

Try this and if it isn't working, please share more details about the problem so I can replicate it.

Stan, Olimex
May the Source be with You!

toozie21

You the man Stan.  That was exactly the issue.  I don't know how the PIC part changed got changed, but once I told MPLAB the one you called out, it built like a pro, thanks!!!  Now to start mucking with it some!