how to use FTDI Chip FT2232D?

Started by Lukas Mistr, October 31, 2014, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lukas Mistr

Could someone explain how to use the FTDI chip FT2232D? Arch Linux 2.6.35-8-ARCH + running on processors imx233 and establishments do I encounter ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1, which correspond to the FTDI chip, but I do not know how to use them.

mbergmann

Hi Lukas,

check you have permissions to access the serial port as normal user without root privileges:

$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw----. 1 root dialout 188, 0 Aug  3 13:40 /dev/ttyUSB0

In this example your user must be added to the dialout group (with the usermod command):

$ sudo usermod -aG dialout Lukas

Logout and then login.

Then you have to install and configure minicom (or similar).

Create a profile with:

$ sudo minicom -s Lukas

Set the config to use /dev/ttyUSB0. Make sure you have disabled Hardware Flow Control.

Then you can start it with:

$ minicom Lukas

Regards

Mike

Lukas Mistr

I am accessing the machine as root, so no need to assign rights, but I would like to ask you if can i access to ttyUSB0 through the terminal (without MINICON)? I would like to test only output device.

mbergmann

/dev/ttyUSB0 is a device file, so you may redirect standard output of some command-line command to this file. For example typing "echo test > /dev/ttyUSB0" at the command prompt should send the word "test" to ttyUSB0. Similarly, typing "cat my_file > /dev/ttyUSB0" will send the contents of the file my_file to ttyUSB0.

Additionally you may using 'screen' to provide an interactive session.

Keep in mind that you have to configure ttyUSB0 with the correct parity, baud, etc to talk (see stty command).

Regards

Mike