A20-OLinuXino-MICRO with 4.3" LCD - A13-LCD43TS on Android

Started by zwanni, July 23, 2014, 10:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwanni

Hey,
I spent some days in building an android image with 4.3" display support. The image boots fine with the display now. My problem is that it seems android continued receives a home button press. So I can't do anything because I immediately get back to home screen. The blue homescreen page indicator flashs continued, also a indication that it's like a home button press.

Picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEwYp3vA_dSNXAwMmktcnpqeEE

I think it's not the display self but rather the resolution because my images for HDMI doesn't have these problems. Looks like android perform the screen layout by resolution but this result is really strange.

May anybody can help to find whats wrong here?!?

zwanni

dave-at-axon

Can you show the FEX file?

This looks like a configuration issue with the touch panel.

Have you calibrated the touch panel? I assume you can't even access this because of the home always being active.

zwanni

You are right, I can't calibrate....
In cause of this I deactivated rtp in the FEX until I fix this problem. It was my first idea as well but I don't think thats the problem.

I also can't access via adb because you have to give the permission first at the popup and this will also killed directly.

here is my FEX file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEwYp3vA_dSVWZFYUYzRm5NalE

zwanni

ok, I got a solution

changend
ro.property.tabletUI

to "true" in build.prop

lucky change but it works :)
next step getting touchscreen to work

can somebody tell me how I can change the build.prop settings before packing?

zwanni

I tested a lot to get a working image, but I it doesn't run stabil. Same build with 800x480 and HDMI looks good. Must be an issue with the small resolution (480x272) in android it self. In logcat looks like an fast repeating error loop. The result is a crash after some Minutes. Maybe a small thing for somebody, I have to give up at this point.

Maybe also the reason that there is no existing image for this Display from developer!?!

best regards

NK

I am having exact same issue with A20-LIME board + 4.3" TS. There is no display on HDMI as well. With the resolution set to 800x600, I can see clipped screen contents with no-unintended key presses. HDMI works fine too.

Did you get the touchscreen working?

zwanni

on the OLinuXino there is definitely a problem with the small resolution on android. I tried a 5" with 800x480 and it works fine. Anyway in my opinion most of the boards are not really build for android. I'm on Radxa Rock now which has much more power for a smooth android.

agentsmithitaly

I resume this old topic to understand if there is any progress on this front.

For my project I need a small screen, no bigger than the Olinuxino itself. The 7 inches are way too big.

Would it be easier to use a higher resolution display such as this, with 800x480 pixels?
http://www.hotmcu.com/5-inch-800x480-tft-lcd-display-touch-panel-standard-40-pin-p-123.html?cPath=6_16

Do I need some active conversion to be able to connect it to the Olinuxino or is it just a matter of finding the right ribbon cable connector and map its pins?

Nick

deskwizard

Just need to "map the pins" and set your FEX accordingly
The fex guide from linux-sunxi could be a useful read if you haven't already

DW

dave-at-axon

That will work with simple changes to the FEX for timing. The display uses DE to clock in the data as there is no HSYNC and VSYNC (bit strange though as I just checked the datasheet itself and they are on pin 32 and 33 and the webpage for the LCD shows NC)

The display is only 200 cd/m2 brightness.

If you can afford something little more expensive and want better touch response, the cap touch 5" display from Newhaven works with with the A20 boards and the cap touch drivers can be built into the kernel. All drivers in the source and ready to use. Simple electronics interface too with simple supply voltage.

The Newhaven one is 400 to 450 cd/m2 so much brighter. In fact, it is excellent viewing outside too.

I won't go back to resistive touch now after working with capacitive. So much more responsive and better feel for the operator.

deskwizard

try capacitive at -20C and let me know how the user feels...

dave-at-axon

Granted that mobile phones are harder to use in cold climates with gloves on. :)

The same can be said for humid climates. With slightly sweaty fingers, keyboard options such as Swype are not as fluid in their use. These work great in cooler climates or nice air conditioned rooms. :)

deskwizard

OH, I didn't know it goes both ways ! ;)
I learned again, thanks ! :)

agentsmithitaly

Thank you for the replies, I agree to the superiority of capacitive touchscreens, but it's hard to ignore the huge price difference, Haoyu display costs 26.50USD including shipping while Newhaven equivalent costs 50.50USD with shipping.
Granted, the cheaper uses a 12LED backlight which is not as bright as the more expensive one, but for indoor envirnoments should be fine. They even use the same LCD driver.

Nobody was successful yet in running Android on 4.3" screen?

maxime

Quote from: agentsmithitaly on February 24, 2015, 03:48:56 PM
Nobody was successful yet in running Android on 4.3" screen?

Have you tried Debian with this screen ?
-- Is it usable for a text terminal ?
-- Is it usable with Mate or LXDE using X ?

If you could send pictures for both cases, I would definitely appreciate :D