April 25, 2024, 03:40:57 AM

MPIDE for Duinomite products 2

Started by KeesZagers, June 08, 2014, 09:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeesZagers

For the moment I'm using Duinomite Mega as an embedded CANbox. Therefore I extended the DM-Basic with about 10 specific CAN statements. Basic is used as a scripting language to visualise and control the CAN communication.

I also have one Duinomite eMEGA in house, planned to be used as some intelligent gateway between CAN and Ethernet TCP/IP. However without the availability of a TCP/IP stack for DM-Basic, such a project seemed to be useless.

In the MPIDE WIKI I read that the environment has support for Ethernet. Question: does this include TCP/IP protocol stack?

On the other hand I like to translate the existing CAN statements to a CAN library for MPIDE.

JohnS

There is said not to be enough memory to fit a TCP/IP stack as well as DMBasic.  Maybe compile anything simple (I expect some C) that uses the stack and so find out its flash & RAM needs, then see if it could fit.

John

KeesZagers

I agree that DMBasic and TCP/IP do not fit together, but how about MPIDE? They claim they have support for ethernet and also an IP stack (based on ENC28J60 chip). I was wondering if someone tested this already on a Duinomite eMEGA platform. I think if this is working the eMEGA becomes a product with more value. The only thing I don't like on the hardware is the CAN connector; you can connect your speakers to it, but it gives a terrible sound  ;D

JohnS

I suppose you can use whatever Microchip provide.  I'm not clear which MPxxx works with which version of Microchip's TCP/IP stack.  If you can't tell then ask Microchip I suppose.

Whatever works should then be fine with the Olimex board, I guess.

Between Microchip MLA and Harmony I'm confused what Microchip are doing (& why).

John

olimex

we did experiment with TCP-IP integration to DM BASIC but the result was extremly low speed as TCP-IP takes lot of resources to listen for TCP-IP packets, etc, so MPIDE intergration would be much more possible as there you are with C and much more flexible

KeesZagers

I agree and I had a short look into the sources of the Ethernet library and in my opinion it should be possible to integrate the PIC32 ethernet controller. However there is still a lot more that has to be done to make MPIDE a good alternative for the Duinomites. It is better to start a new discussion for that on this forum, so I will do that.