A20-SOM-EVB or A20-OLinuXino-MICRO? And some general recommendations

Started by mafm, June 01, 2014, 05:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mafm

Hi all,

I am new to this and a bit confused about all the options.

I have 2 or 3 different main use cases that I could use this for, and I don't know which of the products A20-SOM-EVB or A20-OLinuXino-MICRO is more suitable for them (or the future Rockchip, but well, basically EVB vs. OLinuXino versions):

1) General small computer/server for home, to use as media center, back ups or sharing files in the LAN, and compiling/porting software.  This would be using Debian, disks and external screen.

2) Semi-portable computer, similar to a tablet, to use for example when travelling or in the car (e.g. to look maps when needed, for which GPS is almost mandatory).  I realise that both might be a bit fragile for this use case, lacking boxes and somewhere to attach LCD screens in fixed frames, but well, just thinking about the possibility.  This would be using either Android or Debian (but I don't know if there's a good GUI if not using Android).

3) Router-like device

On a quick glance, it is not very clear to me what would be the pros and cons of A20-SOM-EVB vs. A20-OLinuXino-MICRO for case 1.  For example, EVB seems to have VGA output without needing an extra conversion cable, and gigabit ethernet, and on the whole more similar to traditional computers and thus more suitable for staying at home and doing normal computer tasks.  But I don't know if by choosing the EVB I am missing some options compared to the OLinuXino.

I guess that for case 2, EVB is less versatile; and that for 3 it's more or less the same as 1 but probably something less powerful than A20 would do, and would need mostly extra ethernet ports or WiFi but no need for displays or disks.

So I would appreciate if somebody could comment or point me to documentation or resources in the internet with people using these devices for similar tasks.  I found some examples, almost always linked from the Olimex blog, but not many and not very similar to what I am attempting to achieve.

Thanks in advance.

mafm

No replies?   :(

I thought that my question was perhaps overly generic and that I would have too many suggestions...

JohnS

I glanced through and didn't find a clear question so moved on.

I worked on the basis that asking for stuff on the net means someone needs to use a search engine.

John

mrfassi

Quote from: mafm on June 01, 2014, 05:06:03 AM
1) General small computer/server for home, to use as media center, back ups or sharing files in the LAN, and compiling/porting software.  This would be using Debian, disks and external screen.
http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/blog/2012/12/14/raspberry-pi-nas-with-openmediavault
or, if you can read italian,
http://www.morganino.it/technology/installazione-openmediavault-su-raspberry-pi-mod-b-rev-2/
They are for Raspberri Pi, but they work for A20-olinuxino too (I have tried it and it worked) and - I think, but I have not tried yet - for Olinuxino-LIME too.

2) Semi-portable computer, similar to a tablet, to use for example when travelling or in the car (e.g. to look maps when needed, for which GPS is almost mandatory).  I realise that both might be a bit fragile for this use case, lacking boxes and somewhere to attach LCD screens in fixed frames, but well, just thinking about the possibility.  This would be using either Android or Debian (but I don't know if there's a good GUI if not using Android).
Unless you want to prove yourself in that task, an Android tablet with gps is easier and cheaper.

3) Router-like device
There are two projects you could help:

mafm

Quote from: JohnS on June 05, 2014, 01:44:26 PM
I glanced through and didn't find a clear question so moved on.

John

The main question is in the beginning: which of the available hardware options, A20-OLinuXino-MICRO or A20-SOM-EVB (A20 could be other CPU), would people recommend for each case (home server/media centre, portable and router).

I think that A20-OLinuXino-MICRO might be better for router, for portable perhaps neither is good, and A20-SOM-EVB better for home server/media center to not have to buy several modules and cables separately.

Cheers.

mafm

Quote from: mrfassi on June 05, 2014, 02:09:00 PM
Unless you want to prove yourself in that task, an Android tablet with gps is easier and cheaper.

Yes, I think that perhaps the hardware options from Olimex are not very suitable for the task.

Thanks.