I think my A20-micro with 4gb NAND is hosed.

Started by smilo, May 13, 2014, 12:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smilo

I'll try to keep this short because I just want to get it fixed.

I rebooted my A20 the first time I powered it up without knowing that I should have allowed it
to stay powered up until it finished.
I tried booting up with a Linux kernel image off a micro-SD card [edit:] and it wouldnt boot. [end]

Good thing I bought the USB serial device to connect to UART0.
At first I was in fact getting the boot up message via UART0, but no nothing.

When I press the reset button the LAN lights are still blinking like they had been before when I would press
the reset button.  But now no longer.

Please advise.

sacherjj

I would download the firmware file from Olimex and setup PhoenixSuit to reflash it.  Then let it boot fully.

smilo

Thank you for replying.

I'm on Linux, I dont have any ms machines at home.

How would I upload the firmware without using phoenix?

Also, I have been told on irc that the power supply should be checked.
But the power supply I'm using is a 12v/5amp max unit, that should be sufficient correct?

dave-at-axon

If the supply is working,the red LED next to the battery connector should come on. If not, either your supply is faulty of the board has failed somewhere.

Do you have a meter to check the power output is the correct polarity? POS should be the middle pin.

smilo

I'm able to get it to U-Boot now.

Here is the sequence of what happens:
I insert a microsd card with Linux on it.
I plug in the USB Serial F terminal connector to UART0 to a minicom terminal.
A DVI plug to a computer monitor.

Plug a power supply in, the red LED light comes on and nothing apparent happens
[edit: This does not happen all the time.  Sometimes I do not have to press the reset button to get the first U-Boot message.]

I press the reset button [edit: if nothing comes up at first. ] and get the following message:

U-Boot SPL 2013.10-rc2-08390-g3d2fc4e (Sep 27 2013 - 20:42:24)
Board: A20-OLinuXino_MICRO
DRAM: ? ? 0 MiB
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

I then press the reset button again and get:

HELLO! BOOT0 is starting!
boot0 version : 2.0.0...
read dram para.
dram driver version: 1.15
initializing SDRAM Fail.

I have a Linux image from Olimex dd'd on to the microsd card.

smilo

Update, I unplugged and plugged the board a few times and finally got this message:

U-Boot SPL 2013.10-rc2-08390-g3d2fc4e (Sep 27 2013 - 20:42:24)
DRAM: 256 MiB
CPU: 960000000Hz, AXI/AHB/APB: 3/2/2

I'm leaving it for as long as I can to see what happens.

I'm assuming this is the message I should be seeing on initial bootup?
(I hope)

smilo

I press the reset button and it goes back to the:
'SDRAM Fail' message.

JohnS

smilo

Quote from: JohnS on May 15, 2014, 12:34:21 PM
Probably an inadequate power supply.

John

Hi.  The power supply Im using is a laptop power supply rated at 12v 5amp max.
If that is inadequate or in correct can you please advise?

Thank you

Lurch

for an sdcard boot, you should have something like this:
U-Boot SPL 2013.10-rc2-08400-g8a4621c (Oct 29 2013 - 15:24:26)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
spl: not an uImage at 1600

U-Boot 2013.10-rc2-08400-g8a4621c (Oct 29 2013 - 15:24:26) Allwinner Technology

CPU:   Allwinner A20 (SUN7I)
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  1 GiB
MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0
Your SDRAM message might indicate a faulty SDRAM or just a cold solder joint.  I'd try cleaning the board off with a soft (paint) brush just to be sure there are no shorts due to stuff on the board.  If the problem persists, then it's a job for Olimex to fix -> send them a message at their support eMail address.

smilo

Quote from: Lurch on May 15, 2014, 04:15:45 PM
for an sdcard boot, you should have something like this:
U-Boot SPL 2013.10-rc2-08400-g8a4621c (Oct 29 2013 - 15:24:26)
DRAM: 1024 MiB
spl: not an uImage at 1600

U-Boot 2013.10-rc2-08400-g8a4621c (Oct 29 2013 - 15:24:26) Allwinner Technology

CPU:   Allwinner A20 (SUN7I)
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  1 GiB
MMC:   SUNXI SD/MMC: 0
Your SDRAM message might indicate a faulty SDRAM or just a cold solder joint.  I'd try cleaning the board off with a soft (paint) brush just to be sure there are no shorts due to stuff on the board.  If the problem persists, then it's a job for Olimex to fix -> send them a message at their support eMail address.

I emailed them yesterday, EST afternoon.
How long does it usually take for a response.

JohnS

No idea but I think they'd be asleep by then.

John

smilo

Quote from: JohnS on May 15, 2014, 07:22:26 PM
No idea but I think they'd be asleep by then.

John

You think theyre still asleep?

LubOlimex

Hello there,

First of all try to re-write the Debian image on the microSD card. If you have used some random A20 Debian image (say for Cubieboard) this might happen. The latest official image is this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlX2tYS2FmNXV5OUU/edit?usp=sharing

You might also want to test with Android from microSD card just to be a 100% sure the problem is not related to the software. The image might be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlUFd5OHVOaFJIRmc/edit?usp=sharing

Other than that it seems like a faulty RAM memory to me or soldering gone dry after a while (affecting either the RAM memory or the A20 chip, the pins responsible for the RAM). It would be the best idea to send the board back for inspection/repair (please include a print of part of this forum thread or a link – this would help us fix the board faster).

Instructions for preparing the microSD card might be found at the A20's wiki article.

What I can recommend you and you can do at home is try to heat the RAM memory and the main A20 processor for half a minute with a hair blower. If you have SMD hot air rework station you can also use that. Make sure the temperature over the board doesn't go over 120 degrees Celsius.

Refer to this page for the full text about warranties and repair: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/GTC#Warranty

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Edit: Try the same procedure on the main microcontroller - the A20 chip.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

smilo

Quote from: LubOlimex on May 16, 2014, 10:36:03 AM
Hello there,

First of all try to re-write the Debian image on the microSD card. If you have used some random A20 Debian image (say for Cubieboard) this might happen. The latest official image is this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlX2tYS2FmNXV5OUU/edit?usp=sharing

You might also want to test with Android from microSD card just to be a 100% sure the problem is not related to the software. The image might be found here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlUFd5OHVOaFJIRmc/edit?usp=sharing

Other than that it seems like a faulty RAM memory to me or soldering gone dry after a while (affecting either the RAM memory or the A20 chip, the pins responsible for the RAM). It would be the best idea to send the board back for inspection/repair (please include a print of part of this forum thread or a link – this would help us fix the board faster).

Instructions for preparing the microSD card might be found at the A20's wiki article.

What I can recommend you and you can do at home is try to heat the RAM memory and the main A20 processor for half a minute with a hair blower. If you have SMD hot air rework station you can also use that. Make sure the temperature over the board doesn't go over 120 degrees Celsius.

Refer to this page for the full text about warranties and repair: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/GTC#Warranty

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Edit: Try the same procedure on the main microcontroller - the A20 chip.

I did everything you advised here and no success, the board is still giving me an SDRAM error.

I do not have a rework station.

According to your wrranty I only have 7 days to return a defectuve board I have emailed support a few times and the only response I get is on this forum.

So what do I do now?  Im in America and I  bought the board directly from Olimex, does this mean im stuck with a defective board from olimex?

So far in my experience olimex is non responsive via email and I dont know if you are an Olimex employee.