Lime no boot or/and no HDMI output

Started by cio74, April 27, 2014, 10:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cio74

Hello,

I am looking into an alternative to rPi and BBB board and have thought to give Lime a try. I have bought the board and then an empty 16GB SD card class 10. Got the 4GB image and wrote it into the card.

I am using a TTI lab power supply set to deliver 5v and 1A. After power up the current settles at about 87mA while during reset I can see current fluctuating. The red LED is lit and the Ethernet LED are flashing when apply power.

But this is it, nothing else happens.

I am using a Panasonic plasma TV with HDMI connected to the Lime board. There is no signal. I read another post with someone else having issues with Samsung and another LCD type TV set.

Now this is very disappointing, am I doing something wrong, the board does or does not comply to the HDMI standard? I have played around with a rPi and it just works, no issues at all so it's not about the TV.

What will be the first thing to test/check?

Thanks.

P.S. Please remove "Please prove you are not an bot. How much euro A10-LIME cost?:" it's ridiculous, I don't believe this forum is constantly targeted by spammers and besides I have bought it in the UK and no clue what the correct answer is, I just type some numbers until I get it right.

cio74

Ok, so I have worked it out.

It all started with one sentence written in this page: http://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/building-debian-linux-image-for-a10-olinuxino-lime-with-kernel-3-4-67/

It says "If you do not want to bother with Linux Debian image generations here is image build following the instructions below, so you just write it to SD card and boot your LIME :)"

Well, "just write it" does not actually means that. If you're coming from rPi you are tempted to believe that you get the img file and copy it into the SD card. Of course this is not the case. In the (too) long description of the board there is a reference to the Windows SD image tool required which like always happens to be found after the problem was fixed :)

Using Win32DiskImager which can be downloaded from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ it is possible to open the img file and write it to the SD card. Then it will work.

This board/project needs better help, tutorials and definitely a better place with things organized so users won't have to search several posts, pages to find information.

kalin

I am glad you figured it out ;-)

But having used Linux for many years, I make a distinction between write and copy, now you do too. (When there is a copy, usually there is a needed filesystem that is specified).

"Coming from RPi"... yeah, if one is born in Africa, chances are that s/he'll never see snow, but it doesn't mean this is "right", just a narrow vision of the world.

If you like the board, feel free to write more documentation, and submit it here - I am sure the moderator will link it if it is good.