MOD-RFID1356-BOX reads no ISO15693 Tags

Started by Electronicpower, December 20, 2012, 02:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electronicpower

Hi all

I test the MOD-RFID1356-BOX with usb cable in CDC mode. I can change the reader mode with my console, but I can't read any tags. I have a lot of ICode SLI tags, those tags are ISO15693 compatible. I have only one tag in field (anticollision).

What can I do, to make it work.

Do you have any suggestion?

Best regards.

andyhunti

I bought some I-Code tags which can be read by the RFID1356 stick. A link is in this post:

https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=573.msg2183#msg2183

olimex

Electronicpower

Hi andyhunti
you have the rfid-stick and I have the rfid-box. Maybee the reading distance is different between the stick and the box.
Now I have some readable tags - see my next post.

Cheers.

Electronicpower

Hi olimex

I think the problem is the reading distance (PCB - antenna tuning). I use RFID readers for more than 6 years and I never had a product with such a short reading distance. Finally I can read all of my ISO15693 tags. They all have creditcard size and are from different manufacturers. The maximum reading distance I get is about 5 mm. Most tags need to have contact with the box, some need even then more than some seconds to read the tag.
I use some other rfid-reader with a circle antenna with a diameter of about 15mm. They can read ISO15693 tags (creditcard size) in a distance of more than 40mm.

I orderd this box-reader from a usa-reseller , but with this short reading distance I will send this product back.

Cheers.

olimex

I don't know what are your tags you use, but our tags are read from about 50mm

Electronicpower

Hi olimex

I testet 8 ISO15693 tags with 4 different RFID Reader. (Only one tag in field!)

W&T RFID Server: reads all tags with a reading distance of 22 - 35 cm.

BlueBerry HF Reader:  reads all tags with a reading distance of 50 - 65 mm.

ST M1-mini reader:  reads all tags with a reading distance of 45 - 60 mm.

OLIMEX MOD-RFID1356 Box: reads only one of this tags. Reading distance max 4 mm.

So, you think your box reader is ok, and I have bad cards!  >:(  >:(  >:(

I have a project with several thousend ISO15693 tags and a lot of readers, I can't use a product with so bad  reading results.

I will send this reader back to my supplier.

regards.

THEVENIN.CREALEAD

Quote from: Electronicpower on January 08, 2013, 01:08:52 PM
Hi olimex

I testet 8 ISO15693 tags with 4 different RFID Reader. (Only one tag in field!)

W&T RFID Server: reads all tags with a reading distance of 22 - 35 cm.

BlueBerry HF Reader:  reads all tags with a reading distance of 50 - 65 mm.

ST M1-mini reader:  reads all tags with a reading distance of 45 - 60 mm.

OLIMEX MOD-RFID1356 Box: reads only one of this tags. Reading distance max 4 mm.

So, you think your box reader is ok, and I have bad cards!  >:(  >:(  >:(

I have a project with several thousend ISO15693 tags and a lot of readers, I can't use a product with so bad  reading results.

I will send this reader back to my supplier.

regards.

I have exactly the same problem of low reading range with lots of different tags.
On my reader, the reading is possible only by by putting the tag UNDER the reader.
As I am also electronician, I have looked at the RF signal, it are extremely poor and badly tuned.

But as the shipping cost is higher than the cost of the reader; I must keep it.

zokl

I have the same problem with MOD-RFID1356. The range is about 4 mm :-(.

LubOlimex

Hello zokl,

Increasing the range would violate several European frequency allocation laws. Our RFID products are mainly suitable for evaluation, research and development.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex