Is there a Skype release for Debian on OlinuXino A10S?

Started by MANU62170, April 15, 2014, 05:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MANU62170

Hello!

I'm looking for a Skype release for Debian on my OlinuXino A10S.

There are Skype releases  for some Debian releases, but I couldn't find one which could be installed on my ARM board.

And if there's a working release, how is the result? Can Skype work as well as on a desktop pc?

Thanks for the answers  :)

progmetalbg

Hello,

Skype is closed source software currently owned by Microsoft.
It has x86 builds for Linux, but no ARM builds for Linux.
Your only option if you want to use Skype on your OLinuXino is to install Android.

MANU62170

Thanks for the answer.

And is ther any possibility with wine (if I can install it under Debian, but I still couldn't find it, probably for the same reason)?

A lovely day to  all the formum users.

From France  :)

MANU62170

Hello!

I've installed Skype under Android, but the frames are choppy,  not fluid at all...

Are there A10S users who use Skype (under Android) without this quality problem?

What can I do to improve it?

Are there A10S users who use Skype without this quality problem?

With streaming videos, I dfidn't notice this problem.

Thanks for the answers  :)

MBR

Quote from: MANU62170 on April 15, 2014, 01:06:25 PM
And is ther any possibility with wine (if I can install it under Debian, but I still couldn't find it, probably for the same reason)?

No, you cannot run Skype in WINE, because WINE is not emulator (it's even its resursive acronym), WINE is API translator and it has to run on x86 processor (this is the reason why you cannot find WINE in Debian for ARM, see https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/wine). You can try to run it under some real emulatro, but it will be painfully slow (much, much slower than under Android).