Need Help Finding Best Board

Started by Capaneus, March 28, 2014, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capaneus

First post, so sorry if this is the wrong section.  I didn't see a general section.  I've been enjoying learning Linux internals on my Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone, and I was looking for a small ARM based board with VGA output, which is how I came across the OLinuXino.  I'm interested in building a software stack for my arcade cabinet, so analog video output is a requirement.  I'm having a hard time understanding which board would be the best for game emulation, but here is a run down of my requirements:

VGA output (15KHz would be a plus, but 31KHz is fine)
+5V input
At least 25 GPIOs for button inputs
3.5mm stereo out

I'd like too map all of these inputs and outputs to a JAMMA connector so I can just use the existing wiring in my cabinet.  I even though about looking at the CAD files and modifying the board a bit too map these.

Has anyone done something like this?  Anyone know the most powerful ARM board with VGA output?  Most SoCs are starting to abandon analog video.

progmetalbg

A list of ARM dev boards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_single-board_computers#ARM_based
Note that analog video in the table means either composite (like Raspberry Pi) or VGA (like A13-OLinuXino).
From Olimex boards only A13-OLinuXino(-WIFI) and A20-OLinuXino-MICRO(-4GB) are options for your, A20 is ~2-3 times faster. I'm not sure for the +5V input though...

Capaneus

Thanks! Actually the A20 might work since JAMMA also has +12V, and the power can be anywhere between 6-16V.