Android on A20

Started by MuZiiX, March 19, 2014, 08:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuZiiX

Hey everybody, I'm sort of a noon here, but I have two questions. Is there any way to enable sleep on the A20 version of Android? My second question is there any such thing as a female to female 40 pin coupler type thing? I'm building a tablet for my computer engineering class and I want it to be as thin as possible. Thanks!

resources

QuoteIs there any way to enable sleep on the A20 version of Android?

Sure - Settings > Display > Sleep?

QuoteMy second question is there any such thing as a female to female 40 pin coupler type thing?

Do you mean something like this?

dave-at-axon

I think they are looking for a connector itself to go from the Olimex board to their board. I've not seen anything off the shelf based on your requirements and this would be a special.

BUT...

If you are going to design your own PCB to plug into the Olimex board have a look at the Samtec SSW or ESW (if you need more clearance) connectors. These will plug into the Olimex board headers. It's a similar soft of arrangement as used with Capes for the Beaglebone, except there are more on the Olimex board.

http://www.samtec.com/technical-specifications/default.aspx?SeriesMaster=ESW

oskaratk

Quote from: resources on March 19, 2014, 10:58:57 PM
QuoteIs there any way to enable sleep on the A20 version of Android?

Sure - Settings > Display > Sleep?

Hmm, I've set it to 15 seconds and after hours still no sleep :-(
Also, should'nt a short power button click put it in sleep as well?

Thanks
Oskar

dave-at-axon

Yes, but are you running the stock Olimex image? It has issues dealing with power states and some of us have created custom builds to sort this out.

The custom build I have switches the display backlight off after a few minutes unless the app tells it not to.

On external DC the system never goes to sleep unless I press the power button briefly. Only the backlight goes off.

If I am running on battery, it switches off after the time set in the settings unless I have a power wakelock in my app (of which I do as I want to control the power on/off state within my app)

oskaratk

Hi Dave,

Quote from: dave-at-axon on April 16, 2014, 11:40:37 AM
Yes, but are you running the stock Olimex image? It has issues dealing with power states and some of us have created custom builds to sort this out.

The custom build I have switches the display backlight off after a few minutes unless the app tells it not to.

On external DC the system never goes to sleep unless I press the power button briefly. Only the backlight goes off.

If I am running on battery, it switches off after the time set in the settings unless I have a power wakelock in my app (of which I do as I want to control the power on/off state within my app)

yes, I am running the stock Olimex image from NAND.

Any chance you would make your image available? I am afraid it is beyond my Droid skills to figure out what needs to be done to make the power stuff work. I bet I am not the only one ...

Thanks
Oskar

dave-at-axon

Hi Oskar,

I'll sort out an image for you in the next couple of days. My system has CAP touch display so I need to re-build with resistive and a few other changes.

My image has UART's 3,4,5,6 and 7 enabled. 6, 3 and 4 have been tested with RS485 drivers and work great.

Can you tell me what you want from this?

LCD size (I have working for 7")

Install to SD or to NAND?

oskaratk

Hi Dave,

for this design, I am planning to use a CAP touchscreen in 7", image installed in NAND.
With the UARTS, I actualy will need just 1 RS232 to interface another device. That is a control module for a radiator fan and coolant pump in a car. Running on a Freescale MC9S08. That fan control can be queried for all kinds of status and params set via RS232. ( In the moment I am just using an Matrix Orbital VFD character display for status and to set params, I have to connect a windows PC )

Thanks
Oskar

dave-at-axon

Hi Oskar,

Which cap display will you be using? This is important to know so that the correct drivers are available. My LCD is the Touch Revolution 7" so I have the drivers for this.

For UART, 6 and 7 are enabled and available on UEXT1 and UEXT2 so you can use either of those. You'll need a SerialPort API to access these under Android but this is out there for free to use. I've adapted it so that I can set the data bits, parity and stop bits as the existing driver only handles the baudrate. It's standard termios so easy enough to deal with.

I have 2 serial ports running at 19200 bps with Modbus protocol and no data errors.

oskaratk

Hi Dave,

you know that I am eying you 7" touch solution. Only downside in the moment seems to be that the Touch Revolution 7 seems to bit pricey, at least here in the US
Do you know of better source that DigiKey, Future or so?

Thanks
Osakr